Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Singular! Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From the very same shop that brought you this, today another window-sized poster.

Nike Woven Pant

Half Price

Maximum two per customer

I've never seen a singular pant but, as it's less than the maximum, I'm tempted to go in and ask for one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
pant

Maybe the shop is hot. No, according to the news it should be cool.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of this.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've seen pant, with the meaning of trousers, in the singular. Here is an example.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I've heard it too, on fashion TV shows like Project Runway. The fashionistas use it frequently.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pant" it should be. When the late Marcel Marceau got dressed he did not do a pantsomime.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And here I was thinking that mime was always pants.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online says that pants originally was a shortened form of pantaloons and referred to them only. Later pants came too mean any type of trousers (and panties and pantalettes). Pant was a shortened form of pantleg, referring to one leg of a pantaloon (or pantaloons) and later of all trousers. Therefore, a pair of pants (often just pants) was a pantaloon (trousers).

I don't know when a pair of pants began to be called a pant, but I've noticed it more often in the last few years. But pant for pair of pants has been in use much longer than I thought, as evidenced by this ad from the Lewiston Evening Journal - Jul 11, 1903.

The oldest use I've found is from Southland Times (New Zealand), 25 February 1903: "Masters' pants at 6s 11d, a good strong saddle tweed pant, usually sold at 10s 6d."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should not worry about the singular; worry about the singularity! http://singularity.com/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post