Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Racism or Fontism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racism or Fontism Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
http://www.popehat.com/2012/03...e-concealed-forever/

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A fontasy?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting and relates to another thread here. I hadn't heard of chop suey font before, though looked it up online. I suppose I could see that it's a slur if the person (Margaret Cho, in this case) about whom it was written hadn't consented to it. Since she did okay it, what's the beef?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Apparently Margaret Cho is guilty of racism against herself.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There must be a word for that!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently Margaret Cho is guilty of racism against herself.

Most comics who are from racial minorities probably are. In particular the many great Jewish comedians tend to rely on Jewish jokes especially.

Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke about Jews, just as only black people can joke about the balck community without fear of giving offence. Although if Scorpions X have their way, that's not true either.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke about Jews, just as only black people can joke about the balck community without fear of giving offence.

Maybe in Europe.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke about Jews, just as only black people can joke about the balck community without fear of giving offence.

Maybe in Europe.

Not sure whether you mean that elsewhere it's OK for other people to tell Jewish or Black jokes or that elsewhere it isn't even acceptable for Jew's to tell jokes about Jews or black people to tell jokes about black people.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Comedians in the US can certainly explore the vagaries of other eihnicities, although there is a limitation on the words used, such as what is euphemistically called "the N-word." But I've seen many stories about people in various European countries who have been hauled before some tribunal governing "hate speech" for the most innocuous remarks.
Example

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke about Jews,
I suppose I am a little sensitive about this since I am Jewish, but I don't think that's true. I've heard many Jewish jokes (funny ones!) that have been told by non-Jews, and it's fine. Think of all those lawyer, rabbi, priest jokes. And many more.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I worded that badly; maybe I should have said "Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke against Jews".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I should have said "Only a Jew can nowadays tell a joke against Jews".

Again, that seems to me to be a Ekurocentric attitude. In the US, you can make just about any remark without fear of a governmental intrusion on your freedom of speech. The general public may not like it, but you can't be hauled into court for it (civil court, aside).

Another example of something not found in US: Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting link, Proof. I am interested in what our British posters think about it.

As for jokes about certain ethnicities, I suppose there are some who consider them racist, but as long as they're in good taste, I think most don't care if non-Jews tell Jewish jokes or non-Polish people tell Polish jokes, and so on.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Just caught up w/this thread. Quote from the article: "adolescent levels of self-seriousness and entitlement"-- ah, now that's the Cornell I know, love, & remember well. Glad to see nothing much has changed on campus since the '60's...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Interesting link, Proof. I am interested in what our British posters think about it.

It seems to be a nonsense. How that post is supposed to be racist I've no idea. The Facebook author's ideas may be anti-government or anti-army, and may not be popular but not racist. The British army is of course multi-racial. Or is the racism meant to be in the references to the local civilians? I just don't get it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I think the issue with that article was more about free speech, than about racism. I just wondered if they were over-reaching in the article, and I suspect they were.