Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Words stolen from last week’s Wall Street Journal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words stolen from last week’s Wall Street Journal Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
Rumor has it that tsuwm, after long hiatus, has restarted his marvelous word-of-the-day. Clearly this is a challenge to me to do the same for mine. Though I can’t hope to meet his standard, I joyously take up the gauntlet. Welcome back, old friend!

mordant — (especially of humor) sharp or critical; caustic; biting
also noun: (when dyeing cloth, etc.) an additive to “fix” the dye; that is, to keep it from running or bleeding out

Bonus word:
fraught — causing or characterized by emotional distress or tension
[fraught with — filled with a specified element, as fraught with danger]
[from the sense of "laden" (as a ship); cognate with freight]
    In her previous fiction, most of it mordantly witty, Ms. Shriver has consistently delivered sophisticated treatments of fraught subjects. These include a school massacre, America’s health-care system, terrorism and the media, and obesity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great to see you again, Wordcrafter!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second that! Keep it up!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement!
(And Geoff, I got the reference.)

sans culotte — (usually disparaging) an extreme radical or revolutionary
    (commenting on the earliest years of the French Revolution)
    It cost money to turn a nation upside down, and the sans culottes could scrape up only so much by melting down church bells and expropriating noble estates. Anticipating modern central-banking practices, [they] turned to the printing press.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
garrulous – talkative – usually in a negative sense of being long and rambling, wordy, or trivial; and tedious, tiresome and annoying
    Like Mr. Biden, [Hubert] Humphrey was a garrulous establishment liberal and vice president who had spent decades in the Senate. Each man was nominated by a divided Democratic Party. Both were dogged by the enthusiasm for their more progressive runners-up, Sens. Eugene McCarthy and Bernie Sanders.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
saltire – (accent on first syllable) an X-shaped cross (especially white on a blue background, as a national emblem of Scotland)
    [A] globally popular British singer-songwriter known most simply as Adele posted a photograph of herself with her hair twisted into “Bantu knots”—small buns that are an African style of coiffure. She also wore a bikini top in the distinctive pattern of Jamaica’s flag, a gold saltire with green and black triangles. [ellipses omitted]
(random fact: Jamaica’s flag is the only national flag with no red, no white, and no blue. Very good-looking.)
Sometimes a picture makes the word memorable.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hi, wordcrafter! How great to hear from you!

This is a brand-new word for me. I looked it up & found it's based on the "St Andrew's cross;" he was crucified on a diagonal cross. But the etymology seems unconnected: word comes from Latin "saltare" to dance, Old French "saultoir" stirrup cord, stile [?], thence to Middle English. Etymonline.com suggests, "The connection between a stirrup and the diagonal cross is perhaps the two deltoid shapes that comprise the cross."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post