Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"noob" Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
I've heard of newbie, but has anyone ever heard of a noob, the term being an insult?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've seen it usually spelled newb or n00b.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newbie is typically used as an insult. n00b is pretty common in 1337 or "leet"(from "elite") speak, probably going back at least a decade. There is a tendency in leet speak to insult everyone who isn't "leet". People who are newbies are especially scorned, and the leet speak for newbie is "n00b". This is probably how it acquired the insulting connotation you've heard.

Recently, in some games, like WoW(World of Warcraft), the term has been further shortened to "nub", and pronounced as such.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Is leet speak where the term "my peeps" meaning "my friends" (short for "my people," I guess) comes from? I first heard this term a couple of months ago from a younger friend, a woman in her '30s, and last week, from my younger son, who is 29.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. I always assumed my peeps was from AAVE (African-American Vernacular English).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I'd thought so too, zmj. However, OED's etymology gives no indication. Its first two quotes don't seem to be AAVE, but they clearly antedate netspeak.
    1973 M. GORDON & G. GORDON Informant xli. 155 At 7:45 a.m. the ‘peeps’ trooped in yawning. 1988 H. ENFIELD Wad & Peeps 94/1 Golf, the sport of badly dressed peeps all round the world.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peeps is definitely not from leet speak. Most of the terms in leet speek have letters replaced by numbers. For example, "owned" becomes "0wn3d", and later became "pwned", which led to the phrase "you just got powned".

posted Hide Post
After some further thought, "peeps" doesn't seem to fit in with any AAVE that I've heard. The term from some time ago would have been "homeys", or something similar, although this may be out dated at this point.

posted Hide Post
Homey is an old word. I spotted it in Louis Armstrong's memoir about growing up in New Orleans.

In re: peeps, Onion columnist Herbert Kornfeld uses it all the time, e.g. If all y'all daycarin' peeps spot some officin'-lookin' homiez kickin' back an' drinkin' wine coolahz on yo' property, don't call tha 5-0. That jus' mah posse.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We used to have a disk jockey (on a sports station) named "Jeromey the Homey" here in Chicago.

What exactly does homey mean? They stay home a lot?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it originally meant someone from your hometown or neighborhood, perhaps a contraction of hometown boy. Armstrong's usage was along the lines of "we were playing in Philadelphia when I ran into my homeboy Kid Orrey". The further contraction to "homey" may be more recent.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I read an article or two from the Onion online occasionally, but I never read Kornfeld. He does refer to the homeys in that sentence later as "homeboys:"

quote:
The homeboys got they asses outta there befoe they could be busted foe vagrancy,

Was really surprised to see anybody writing in what we used to call Negro dialect in these enlightened times, even in a hilariously outrageous humor publication. Seems like sort of an ignorant rich-boy thing to do...

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear the word "peeps" a lot in rap music, fwiw.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Homey

Perhaps homey is from Polari omi 'man' from Italian uomo. For those who've never heard of it, there's a nice only vocabulary of Polari here.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Was really surprised to see anybody writing in what we used to call Negro dialect in these enlightened times, even in a hilariously outrageous humor publication. Seems like sort of an ignorant rich-boy thing to do...

I think the target of ridicule are the nerdy white guys who try to talk like gangstas.

posted Hide Post
Under "all" enter noob. Under "at least one" enter

intitle:slang intitle:vernacular intitle:colloquialisms intitle:idioms intitleRazzatois intitle:argot intitle:metaphors

The latter entry will create a dropdownwhich will make it unnecessary to copy or retype all that next time you need it

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under "all" enter noob. Under "at least one" enter ...
Presumably these are fields in some web form or other. Care to share where it might be found?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am likewise in the dark, Dale.

zmj, I hadn't heard of Polari. That vocabulary was interesting!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post