Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gluckschmerz Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here is a fun article about the word with the opposite meaning of Schadenfreude - gluckschmerz. That is, it means to take pain in someone else's pleasure. While it is gaining popularity (as discussed in the article), as Goofy, I am sure, will say - it really isn't a word. Which brings us back to when is a word a word. For example, they brought up "selfie." That's a word now? Or "vape," which I hadn't actually heard of.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glück "luck" is cognate with English luck and Schmerz "pain" is cognate with English smart "to cause mental pain or anguish; to be hurtful".

posted Hide Post
And Schade is cognate with scathe, and Freude is cognate with friend.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So - why is Gluckschmerz not a word, but Schadenfreude is then? They were developed similarly. Here is a Blog article about it. Interestingly, it mentions that epicaricacy is the English word for Schadenfreude.

posted Hide Post
It's a word if people use it as a word. Apparently it's been used in English for 30 years. It's not used in German.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We've been talking about what is a word almost since the inception of this board. This 2004 thread has what Aput (a UK linguist who was excellent) said is a "...a very, very sensible essay and I agree wholeheartedly with how it makes all those distinctions. That's the perfect linguistic treatment of the subject." It was posted by Bob. However, unfortunately after all this time the stupid link doesn't work. Mad Bob, I am assuming you don't remember the name of the essay?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't even remember where it was from.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The article was a pdf on the University of Sussex site, entitled "What is a word?". Unfortunately they appear to have taken it down as a search of their site (Linguistics and English Language working papers) shows a defunct link which leads to a 'not found' message.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post