Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    OED's Unreliability: "Political football"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OED's Unreliability: "Political football" Login/Join

posted
Quite some time ago I noted an OED error here, commenting, "[for] the term 'political football' ... OED gives three cites, all recent (1971, 1975 and 1977), respectively from [3 Commonwealth countries]. ... OED is simply wrong. ... 'political football' appeared in a U.S. political cartoon in Judge magazine during the term of President Harrison, 1889 to 1893. [citation]" I notified OED at the time.

Today, almost three years later, OED still hasn't gotten around to making any change in its on-line edition. It would take them less than 15 minutes to verify my data and incorporate it. I am more than a bit annoyed, and no longer believe that OED is maintains its accuracy, or even makes a serious attempt to maintain it.

For the record, here are two cites taking it back about 35 more years. OED's first cite is well more than a century too late.

Smart of the Bellast Free Press is laboring with all his might to keep the temperance question as a political football.
    Bangor (Maine) Daily Whig & Courier, Oct. 12, 1857, p.2

... the State can least afford to have the Engineer's Department made the football of political demagogues ...
    New York Daily Times, Jan. 11, 1856, p.2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordnerd,

posted Hide Post
For the record, here is what OED-online has to say about it as of today, unchanged from three years ago:
    1971 Financial Mail (Johannesburg) 26 Feb. 673/3 The whole question of new negotiations seems to have become a *political football and little more. 1975 Australasian Express 27 Mar. 7/1 In a strong attack, Mr Perkins claimed Aborigines were a ‘political football’ in Australia. 1977 New Scientist 17 Mar. 641/2 Recombinant DNA research is rapidly assuming the shape of a political football.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Oh, no. First Wikipedia, and now the OED.And between Watergate and WMD, I can't trust the politicos anymore either. Luckily I have my Merriam-Webster's 10th Collegiate Dictionary in print. When the power grid fails because of Y2K, I'll be sitting pretty, doing the NYT's crossword puzzles online ... no, er, wait ... I'll read it like a neo-novel ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, OED has now added my 1857 cite, as well as an 1848 cite from the Times.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wordnerd, did you have anything to do with the addition? If so, good for you! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post