Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

avarice/avariciousness Login/Join

posted
Is there any difference between avarice and avariciousness? Or have we simply taken the noun avarice, added the suffix -ious to produce the adjective avaricious, and then added another suffix -ness to get back again to a noun, avariciousness?

Are there many other words that manifest the same process of adding one suffix, and then adding another to get back to where you started?

Is there a name for this process?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Is there any difference between avarice and avariciousness?

Yes, two syllables.

Is there a name for this process?

Derivation.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As Tinman says here, they seem to mean exactly the same thing. I don't understand why you would have two identical words. Synonyms are one thing because they are different words at least. Here, they are just derivations of each other. That seems stupid to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Another example: burgle and burglarise.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Another example: burgle and burglarise.

In this case, the shorter one is the secondary form by back-formation.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If we say burgle here, I surely haven't heard it. It sounds like one who eats "burgers." Wink

posted Hide Post
How about signs and signage, use and utilize?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
There's certainly a difference between signs and signage in the UK.

Signs can be almost any kind of visual representation of information, from gestures to motorway speed restrictions. Signage, though, is the overall policy or system used for signs in a particular situation.

There is another noun derived from the verb, "to sign" which is "a signing". This is usually used in respect of a contractual signing, often of a sporting figure. "Idiotshire United's latest signing, Fred Bloggs"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we say burgle here, I surely haven't heard it
It's the most common form here in the UK. Burglarise is rare. I imagine most would think burglarise is an Americanism.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree that "use" and "utilize" identical; in academia whenever I wrote papers with "use" in them, my colleagues would immediately suggest I change it to "utilize."

However, I agree with Richard about "signs" and "signage."

arnie, obviously it could just be that I haven't heard of "burgle." How's about it, fellow Americans?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've also heard the verb "signing" used in reference to people who speak in American Sign Language.

I've heard the term "burgle" but to be honest I don't recall if it was an American thing or if it was a Brit thing that had leaked over to our side. I tend to read books that have Britishisms.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post