Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pope or Parson? Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I saw a reference today in an American book to the rump of a roast turkey as "the pope's nose". In England the usual phrase for this particular part of a bird's anatomy is "the parson's nose". Is the reference to the pope the usual American version, or are there others?

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, "the Pope's nose" was the very end slice of a loaf of Italian bread although I was specifically instructed not to share this interesting little tidbit of information with the Yanetti family across the street.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I haven't heard the term at all. However, I will now call it the "rabbi's nose"! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Could be just another case of mixed communication.

When I was a kid, I heard it was good luck to rub a rabbi's foot. I think I set some sort of record for being thrown out of synagogues...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a reference today in an American book to the rump of a roast turkey as "the pope's nose".
I have always heard my father call the tail of the turkey, "the pope's nose", but to tell you the truth, I never really thought about it before!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the phrase 'parson's nose' today, and that led me here.

Does anyone know where pope's nose and parson's nose come from?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, if a chicken's tail is the pope's nose what does that make the pope's mouth? Just a bit of anti-popish sentiment from 'crosst the pond.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
My father, who grew up on a farm in southwest Ohio, explained to us that some people called that part of the turkey "the Pope's nose," and he and his cousin Emily, who had also lived on the farm, thought that it was funny; but we kids just thought it was plain weird. We were also told it was not something you would say in front of Other People. I'm sure the expression comes from some 19th century wag living in the Midwest. It actually sounds like something out of Twain or Tarkington. Now I'll have to go look, though I realize this conversation is now nearly four years old.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Google Answers suggests that it was first of all 'the pope's nose' during the anti-catholic reign of James II, around when it presumably crossed the Atlantic. Since the decline of anti-catholic sentiments in Britain it become a general anti-clergy statement as 'the parson's nose'. Here in Britain it is the standard term for that part of a bird, and doesn't carry any real sting these days.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have never heard the expression. I'm surprised, too, since WM heard it from her Ohio roots. I'll have to ask my folks.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post