Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Another apostrophe question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another apostrophe question Login/Join

posted
In the 6-letters thread it felt awkward to post this:
    ESKMOS: Each silk-kimonod maid oscillated sensuously.
'Silk-kimonod' certainly seems odd, but what's the alternative?
    kimonod? Looks like the last syllable should be pronouned 'nod', not 'node'.
    kimonoed? Again, the spelling would mislead on the pronunciation.
    kimonode? Pronunciation looks right, but there's no logic for the final e.
    kimono'd? Well, at least that would make the meaning and pronunciation clear. But by what rule would the apostrophe fit in?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll guess "B"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd take "b," too. I think the apostrophe would just indicate that it was used instead of a letter. For example, in some limericks where I have only wanted 2 syllables, I have written, "Lim'rick."

I'm no apostrophe expert, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
kimonoed does match the pronunciation, by analogy with hoed, toed, goes, potatoes, but that generally only looks right with native words. (Recognizably foreign endings like -ado, -illo, -ino all take -os rather than -oes.)

So the other possibility is kimono'd, which has a good precedent in wretched un-idea'd girls. -- Ah, it was Johnson who said that, so we don't actually have his authority for the written form. But I think this is the most weighty precedent.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd use kimonoed.

If I were worried, I'd recast the sentence to something like girls in silk kimonos, although obviously that couldn't be done in the Six letters... thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opt for kimonoed. So do M-W and the OED Online.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think this is why I love you guys (I include both genders in this word)! Once the OED has spoken . . . a reverent silence ensues.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It was nothing to do with the OED. I didn't comments sinces, as I have already suggested, there are no nouns in English that cannot be verbed.

Thus "kimonoed" must be accurate. Of course, whether it is a good word, as opposed simply being an accurate word, is a matter of debate.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, the only truly correct version is each silk-kimono-clad maid oscillated sensuously.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Once the OED has spoken . . . a reverent silence ensues.

Last night as we were talking with CW at dinner, CW said to Shu, "I know why you are friends with me; you just want to be able to access the OED online from my library!"

I thought that pretty funny! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post