Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save Lots Login/Join

Picture of Graham Nice
posted
At my college many of our students take their exams using a word processor. To protect themselves from the computer freezing or power cuts, which might make them lose their work, they are encouraged by me to save their work many times during the course of their exams. One of the ways I do this is by writing the following words on the whiteboard in front of them:
Save lots.

It has recently been changed by somebody objecting to poor grammar to:
Save often.

I don't think I'm wrong; what does everybody else think.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see you here again!

"Lots," in this context, seems colloquial to me, but not incorrect.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
i would be a bit more specific
Save your work
I think Save lots sounds like an environmental activist plea.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Graham, it is so nice to see you back!

For those of us in the U.S., "often" sounds less awkward, I think. However, "lots" may be used to mean "often" in the U.K.? It is defined as an adverb to mean "often," so I think you are right.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1839 F. Trollope in New Monthly Mag. Dec. 486 ‘But tell me, dearest, for pity's sake tell me, did he ever speak of me?’ ‘Lots. He asked more questions, I promise you, than we could answer.’

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this question. I think of "lots" to mean quantity - a lot. So - if I were to see a sign saying "Save lots," I would say to myself, "Save lots of what?"

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I were to see a sign saying "Save lots," I would say to myself, "Save lots of what?"

It's self-evidently money in that case.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local big box store's slogan is, "Save big money at Menard's." If one saves big money, it's counterfeit. Also, how does one "save' by spending? The advertisers have the public nearly totally fooled.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, believe me, I get that slogan, Geoff. That may be "female talk." I keep reminding myself of how much money I saved when I bought a lot at Nordstrom's half yearly sale. Wink