Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Adjectives from proper nouns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjectives from proper nouns Login/Join

posted
If the name of someone becomes an adjective (e.g. freudian, thatcherite) - should that adjective be capitalised (e.g. Freudian, Thatcherite)? Furthermore, do they have any specific name?

Thanks.

Posts: 7 | Location: Birmingham, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutualdesire:
If the name of someone becomes an adjective (e.g. freudian, thatcherite) - should that adjective be capitalised (e.g. Freudian, Thatcherite)?

According to this site:

"Capitalize words derived from proper nouns
Freudian slip, Swiss cheese, English muffin

Eventually such words lose their capitals
pasteurize, french fry, panama hat, scotch"

quote:
Furthermore, do they have any specific name?

Thanks.

They may have, but I haven't been able to find that out yet Frown.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eponym.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
In mathematics removal of the capital is a high honour, not accorded to all eponyms: Hermite is commemorated in the Hermitian, Jacobi in the Jacobian, Hamilton gets the Hamiltonian path; but euclidean space, boolean algebra, cartesian coordinates.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
--------------------
Eponym.

Ah, yes - I should have known that (sound of head banging on wall) Frown.

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot! I find it fascinating that pasteurize has been decapitalised, but English muffins haven't... it seems like more than just time goes into the equation.

Posts: 7 | Location: Birmingham, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it fascinating that pasteurize has been decapitalised, but English muffins haven't

I wouldn't consider that the expression "English muffins" was eponymous, any more than, say, China tea or Scotch Whisky. It is a description of a type of muffin (almost unknown in England, incidentally) and not an eponym.

I consider that an eponym is a new word created from a name associated with the thing the word describes. Pasteurise we have heard and there are many others including boycott, that have now become normal words and have lost their capital.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
and have lost their capital.
As happened to Monsieur Guillotine.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
[French, after Étienne de Silhouette (1709-1767), French finance minister (( who lost his capital)) .]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a description of a type of muffin (almost unknown in England, incidentally) and not an eponym.

I know we've talked about this before, but I just don't get why it's called "English muffin" then.

Have french fries just been around a lot longer than Swiss cheese? Is that why the former isn't capitalized, but the latter is? Oh...and I think, if I recall, France doesn't have french fries, just as England doesn't have English muffins.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As happened to Monsieur Guillotine.

That is a brilliant double entendre!

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a brilliant double entendre!
Thanks, RE! I wondered if I was being too subtle!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps too subtle for me... explain the double entendre?

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh...and I think, if I recall, France doesn't have french fries, just as England doesn't have English muffins.
French fries aren't named for France. Rather, "to french" means "to cut into thin strips before cooking".

P.S. Yes, arnie, brilliant. A capital pun. (I missed it until Richard pointed it out.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...I get that capital pun now, too...finally! Wink