Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trompe l'oeil Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was a Spanish student, but I have never had French. This term, trompe l'oeil, Shu, CW and I saw at the Art Institute today. The sign said, trompe l'oeil, or realistic,.... Shu says that the phrase doesn't mean realistic. The online AHD says it means, " A style of painting that gives an illusion of photographic reality." To add a little confusion, it comes from a French word meaning to deceive! What does it mean? Is the phrase only used with art, or can it be used in other ways?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
trompe l'oeil

1940s wallpaper?

Does the phrase really mean 'fool the eyes'?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It doesn't mean realistic, but it has to be realistic enough to fool the eye.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
trompe l'oeil

In fact, the device is not necessarily at all realistic since its job is to create an illusion of realism. This means that there is often a distortion in the painting to give the impression of a three-dimensional object.

There are many examples of this device, including one I have seen (in Malta, I think) where the ceiling of a modest building was painted so as to look like a dome when viewed from the right angle.

The is a good explanation, and some examples, here - http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/t/trompeloeil.html

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Or take a look at this!

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Both of those are great links, guys! Thanks for sharing them.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have looked at some of the links, but the lightbulb in my mind hasn't completely gone on yet.

However, there was a good example given in Richard's link where there was a contest to paint an illusion of the real world. One painter painted grapes that were so realisic that birds pecked them. The other painter won the contest by painting what appeared to be a cloth covering his painting that the rival painter reached over to pull off.

Is it only used to describe paintings?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well my link is really more about anamorphic projections but the Coke Bottle is pretty damned good isn't it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post