Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ridden or riddled? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
A recent story about an atrocity in the Middle East said officials had found many "bullet-ridden" bodies. However, I can't find any dictionary that accepts this usage. Shouldn't it be "bullet-riddled"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The two words to riddle 'to fill with numerous holes; to put through a sieve' and riddle 'conundrum' are not related. The former is from the Middle English ridelen 'to sift' (< Old English hriddel 'sieve'), and the latter is from Old English rædels 'counsel; enigma, riddle; debate'. As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riven would have made sense, but not a related word or meaning.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

But unaccepted in dics.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
As for bullet-ridden: it's a common enough occurrence.

Maybe by analogy with crime-ridden, devil-ridden, gang-ridden etc.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've certainly heard it before, and there are more than 500,000 Google hits on it (though some are "riddled" and other things, as often happens when you search for a word in Google). Interesting that the dictionary doesn't cite it, but then we know about those dictionaries! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
This is one of those places where my inner editor would have gone with the "riddled" as being more accurate.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if this is true, but my interpretation would be that "riddled" means the bullets are all over the man, but "bullet ridden" would mean he may have one, or more, bullets in him.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post