Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I recently read an article saying that etiquette here in the U.S. states that boys 7 and under should be called (formally, of course!) "master," from 8-17 only their names, and 18 and over, "mister."

That made me wonder how the term "master" got to be a term for a little boy. The definition of "master" is "expert" or "head of the household." Why would it then mean something that's completely the opposite?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that both master and mister come from the same Latin word magister 'master; lit., he who is great' < magis 'more', from the PIE root *meg- q.v. whence also much, major, and mega- (as in megabyte). As for the etiquette, I'm sure somebody else will fill us in on it.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'm presently 52 and I can recall, as a child, receiving mail (the occasional birthday card or whatever) addressed to "Master Chris Strolin." It always struck me as being a little Little Lord Fauntleroy-ish.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course my question wasn't about the etiquette. I was asking how "master," which comes from magister, meaning "he who is great," came to mean a small boy. That meaning seemed to be opposite from the meaning of the word. I tried World Wide Words and Word Detective, to no avail.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
It probably has more to do with social forces, calling a young priveleged male master.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Master was formerly used of grown men -- "Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man" --, and as master and mister are the same word the question is why mister displaced it in that sense.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
"Master" is also short for "Master Sergeant." When I was in the Air Force, I knew a Master Sergeant whose last name was, I kid you not, "Bader."

You never saw a guy study so hard for promotion!

Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Hm, I knew someone called Bate. Same ol'.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post