Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game vs. match Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Why is a competition between two teams called a "game" of baseball, basketball, or US football, but is called a soccer (UK football) "match"?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Because the Brits make more sense. "Game" to me suggests recreation, but there's nothing recreational about making money playing some kind of contest. I suppose "game" in its meaning of a hunted animal might make sense if we were allowed to shoot basketball players - especialy the portland Jail Blazers. Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Big money is made in the game of poker, at least from what I can see on some of the cable stations. I've seen some British poker players in those games, as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tennis, they have both games and matches, the former the subset of the latter, hence the expression, game set match. You say poker is a game, but you have a "heads-up match". To me, you play a game of soccer, but that could be an American reaction to a Communist sport.

It seems that you play a game, and you compete in a match. You play basketball, but you compete in track and field. I'm sure there are counter-examples, but this distinction seems at least on the surface to be adequate.

There is a tv program "Late Night Poker" which I take is fairly popular in Britain.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Only US responses so far.
On this side of the pond, the two phrases can be completely indistinguishable.

A match might refer more to a single occasion between two teams, and a game might refer more to the action itself - 11 v 11, but there is so little difference that I would expect few others to appreciate such a distinction.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a tv program "Late Night Poker" which I take is fairly popular in Britain.
There seem to be several such programmmes pumped out every day, so presumably they are popular with some. I can't see the fascination myself.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
I suppose "game" in its meaning of a hunted animal might make sense if we were allowed to shoot basketball players - especialy the portland Jail Blazers. Big Grin

Tut,tut, tut. Giraffes are a protected species. Wink

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:

A match might refer more to a single occasion between two teams, and a game might refer more to the action itself - 11 v 11, but there is so little difference that I would expect few others to appreciate such a distinction.

Let's see how that would work....(with apologies to Joni Mtchell)

He was sittin' in the lounge
    Of the Empire Hotel
    He was drinkin' for diversion
    He was thinkin' for himself
    A little money ridin' on the Maple Leafs
    Along comes a lady in lacy sleeves
    She said let me sit down
    You know drinkin' alone is a shame
    It's a shame, it's a cryin' shame
    Look at those jokers
    Glued to that damn hockey match....

Nah, wouldn't work. Razz