Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vilipend Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
'Vilipend', a great word new to me, appeared today in the Wall Street Journal (Tunku Varadarajan's editorial). I'll quote a fair bit, excerpted, to give context.
    Oriana Fallaci faces jail. In her mid-70s, stricken with a cancer, one of the most renowned journalists of the modern era has been indicted in her native Italy under provisions which proscribe the "vilipendio," or "vilification," of "any religion admitted by the state."
    . . .The religion deemed vilified is Islam, and the vilification was perpetrated in a book she wrote last year -- and which has sold many more than a million copies all over Europe. Its astringent thesis is that the Old Continent is on the verge of becoming a dominion of Islam, and that the people of the West have surrendered themselves fecklessly to the "sons of Allah."
    . . .It is a shame, in so many ways, that "vilipend," the latinate word that is the pinpoint equivalent in English of the Italian offense in question, is scarely every used in the Anglo-American lexicon; for it captures beautifully the pomposity, as well as the anachronistic outlandishness, of the law in question. A "vilification," by contrast, sounds so sordid, so tabloid -- hardly fitting for a grande dame.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of "vilipend" before. The OED also mentions a "vilipender" or one who "vilipends" and "vilipenditory," which they define as "abusive."

Is it heard in England?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it heard in England?
Not by me, at any rate. I'd never heard of it before seeing this thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
It's long been one of my favourite words, for its sheer sound coupled with its splendid weight of meaning, but I doubt I've ever heard anyone use it but me.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I doubt I've ever heard anyone use it but me.

Hmmm, I wonder if they understood you! Wink

It is a nice sounding word, I agree, with great sublety of meaning. Yet, it reminds me a little of "millipede" so I tend to envision a big, villainous bug!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Does it contain pend- 'hang'? Checks... Oh I see, it's more 'weight; esteem' in this. But I think I envisage a villain with mustachios and a victim hanging up in chains, and one or the other vilipending.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
aput: "I envisage a villain with mustachios and a victim hanging up in chains"
It does sound like a bodice-ripper word, doesn't it?

arnie: " I'd never heard of it before seeing this thread."
Stumped arnie again??!!?? Mirabile dictu!

PS: In checking the spelling for this, I came across two related words I've never seen before.
mirabilia - n.pl. wonders
mirabiliary - miracle worker.