Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expiry Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The computer program we use most often at work is a British program. It uses the term, "expiry" in its license, so one knows it's British, not US of American. How did the Brits come to use this term instead of "expiration?" The "tion" suffix sounds as if it came into English through Norman French, so why would we on the left side of the pond use the latter form whilst the right side doesn't?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I didn't know of this difference until now. Of the half a dozen or so dictionaries I checked via OneLook only the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary makes a mention of the fact that expiry is used in the UK and expiration in the US.

Dictionary.com dates expiration to 1375-1425 and expiry to 1745-55. Presumably the older term travelled over with the Founding Fathers, but the newer term came into general use here without crossing the Atlantic. There are lots of similar cases; just one such is the use of fall for autumn.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Isn't Expiry the guy who wrote about the little prince?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm English and I don't like "expiry date" or "expiration". Why not just "expires" instead? Or "until"?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Being in health care, that word "expires" has a whole different meaning to me. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I like the term expiry date, if only because it's a cretic foot.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm English and I don't like "expiry date" or "expiration". Why not just "expires" instead? Or "until"?

But that does have a different meaning, being a verb. You'd need to recast the sentence so as to read something like "...licence expires on 06 July 2007..." instead of "...expiry date of licence 06 July 2007...".

Not that this presents any special difficulty, of course.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post