Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rat fink Login/Join

Picture of jheem
posted
I ran across a discussion of the word fink, both as a noun and a verb (and with out). While I recongize the word, it has a slightly archaic sound to me. I think of it as a '50s/'60s slang term, US East Coast in origin. What say all of you?

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yup - it feels like an old phrase to me, too. Generally I'd say "dirty rat fink."

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think gangsters in the 1940's movies referred to their enemies as "dirty rat finks"...

Being archaic myself, I sometimes use the term to describe "connivers and swizzlers"... hey, I think I just made up those words. Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If I used the word "fink," I am sure my kids would laugh uproariously, telling me how very old I really am (which they know I hate to hear!)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
Outside 'ratfink', I'd think anyone using it would be consciously echoing 'The King is a fink!'.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about the King of Id. Thanks.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else heard "fink" used to mean tell on someone? Also known, interestingly, and ratting on someone or ratting someone out . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. That was its primary meaning, I thought.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with http://www.ratfink.org/?

Maybe not synonymous, but it does stir a memory or three. So I take it you were a teenager in the 1960s?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fink is a bit older than the '50s and '60s.

The OED Online first records it from 1834, meaning weaver: "One of numerous Asiatic or African tropical birds of the family Ploceidae, so called from the elaborately interwoven nests that many of them build. Also more fully weaver-bird."

It had taken on a new meaning by 1903: "A pejorative term of wide application, esp. a. An unpleasant or contemptible person. b. An informer; a detective. c. A strike-breaker."

In 1925 fink was recorded as an intransitive verb: "U.S. slang. To inform on."

Rat fink came on the scene in 1964: "One who is obnoxious or contemptible, esp. (a) an odiously pretentious person; (b) an informer, a traitor. Also attrib. or as adj. Hence as v. trans., to inform on."

Fink out appeared in 1966: "To withdraw or back out from some venture, esp. through cowardice; to ‘chicken out’. Also to fink out on: to fail in (something), to let (someone) down."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
Am I the only person here for whom the phrase "Rat Fink (tm)" is synonymous with http://www.ratfink.org/?

Maybe not synonymous, but it does stir a memory or three. So I take it you were a teenager in the 1960s?

'60s, '70s, '80s, most of the '90s, 2002, 2003...

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Fink and rat fink are terms that I associated with mad magazine in the late '50s and throughout the '60s. Fink is German for finch (families Fringilliadae, Estrildidae, and Emberizidae). I remember the models, having built one or two myself, but always though they were using a common term.