Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheesy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard some kids call something cheesy today, and I began to wonder how "cheese" came to mean something cheap and chintzy. I went to word detective who said it is because of the unpleasant smell of overripe cheese. But I surely question that. After all, "cheesy" means shoddy or cheap...not unpleasant. Any other thoughts?

BTW, I was intrigued by their explanation of "big cheese." I had always wondered how "big cheese" (someone important) and "cheesy" could mean something so opposite. I understand that it evolved as a mutation of Urdu, for the word "chiz." Yet, "chiz" means "thing." Strange how "thing" evolved to mean "someone important."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Makes me think of a song we sing:

I love cheesy poofs
you love cheesy poofs
if it weren't for cheesy poofs
we'd all be dead.

Unfortunatly, I think it might actually be from that horrible show, South Park. The song is good, though.

Big Grin --- Cheesy grin

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Being from Wisconsin, I am a little sensitive about the reference to being cheesy or, worse, a cheesehead. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Being from Wisconsin, I am a little sensitive about the reference to being _cheesy_ or, worse, a _cheesehead_. Wink

Hey, we've got Tillamook and Bandon cheese here in Oregon, so you aren't the only cheesehead! ;-) Oh, did you ever notice that the Wisconsin cheesehead hat is a coxcomb? Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Have you all seen the Wallace and Gromit cartoon "A Grand Day Out" where Wallace and Gromit make a space ship and travel to the moon for cheese?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post