Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being worked to death Login/Join

posted
This from an on-line news article: Deaths from overwork are so common in Chinese factories that they have a word for it: guolaosi.

Since my Chinese-speaking friend Haosen is out of town I can't ask him the literal translation of guolaosi, so can anyone here render it accurately?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know enough about Chinese, but I know there's a similar word in Japanese: karōshi 過労死 - from ka "excess" + rou "labour" + shi "death".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, my Chinese friend is also out of town (in Bejing) now. I will ask her when she returns, too. She keeps threatening to register with us, though she hasn't yet.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I tried putting it into Internet translation programs (Chinese to English), and the translation is guolaosi. Perhaps that's one of those words that can't be translated? <said with trepidation!>

posted Hide Post
I used zhongwen, and I might be doing this wrong, but gùo 過 means "excessively", láo 勞 is "labour", and is "dead". So if I'm right the word is gùoláosǐ 過勞死. The first and last characters are the same as in the Japanese word, and I wouldn't be surprised if the readings of the three Japanese characters were borrowed from these three Chinese words.

And putting 過勞死 into google translate gives me "karoshi".

The translation is easy: "death from overwork"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, after I posted that I said to myself "duh!" Of course the online translator didn't work. It wasn't the Chinese letters. Roll Eyes
quote:
The translation is easy: "death from overwork"
That's how it's translated at least. I wonder if that translation captures the meaning in the Chinese culture.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
guolaosi

I looked around on the web, and it seems that guolaosi is a relatively modern term in China. It's only about a decade old, whereas karoushi goes back to 1969. at least that date is the first time a death from overwork happened. The Japanese are the only country that tracks these kinds of deaths. I cannot speak for the connotations of guolaosi or karoushi in Chinese and Japanese cultures respectively, but the denotated meaning is rather clear.

There were a number of suicides due to working long shifts in some factories in China recently. I wonder if these suicides count as guolaosi.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post