Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pneumonia front Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Had you ever heard of a "pneumonia front" before? Yesterday, Shu and I went out for dinner at a restaurant that has a lovely outside patio - it was in the high 70s when we started out. As we were driving, our car's outside thermometer started to decrease to 72, then 70, then 68, etc., until it was about 58 by the time we got there (only about 5 miles away). The newspapers called this a pneumonia front. It is certainly a descriptive name, but I hadn't heard it before. It apparently describes a one-hour temperature drop of 16 degrees F, or greater.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's new to me, but I like it, although probably inaccurate pathologically. Since the Greek root pneuma means wind or breath, a frontal passage is "pneumatic."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
probably means the sudden change that seems to bring on illness. Yesterday was 9 but today only 68, and the temp dropped 30 degrees in minutes.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9? On the Fahrenheit, centigrade, Kelvin, Terman, Wechler, Fujita or Richter scale? Confused

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
probably means the sudden change that seems to bring on illness. Yesterday was 9 but today only 68, and the temp dropped 30 degrees in minutes.
Yo, same here, & I'm lovin' it. We only had 3 days @ 90-95deg, but those were teachin' & singin'-concert days for me: flop-sweat! Delighted to wake up on a Sat w/nothin much to do @ 60deg F. My only regret is that perfumey spring tree/shrub-blooms succumbed (altho truth be told, they are the source of my spring-wheeze, which is now disappearing). But now we've got lovely late-spring delicate white lilacs in bloom-- 2 wks ahead of sched, so hoping the cool weather holds for a bit...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think Proof is correct about where it comes from. We've had the same major weather changes here in Chicago.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post