Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

exsangui(n)ous Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I have a limerick over at the OEDILF on the word "exsanguinous" (drained of blood) and after a few minor tweaks it's sailed through their approval process.

Someone has suggested adding the word "exsanguious" (no "n") as a synonym.

I checked and sure enough a few dictionaries at Onelook carry this variation. To me it has the look of one of those dictionary transcription errors as the version without the "n" doesn't seem to make much etymological sense.

Does anyone know if that's the case? Or maybe not?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find no alternative to exsanguinate, so I think it's an error. However, exsanguinate could be used as an adjective, I suppose, and would be a synonym.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS: Are there any vampires in China whom you could ask?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
"exsanguious" in the OED, from Latin exsanguis "bloodless": sanguis "blood".

"exsanguinous" is formed on the inflected forms of "sanguis": "sanguinis, sanguinī, sanguinem sanguine" etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting question, Bob. I've not heard of it in the medical world, but then I suppose there's a lot I haven't heard about. I'd say you are right. It may be because of the Latin origins from ex and sanguis or sanguinis, as goofy points out.

Have any of you ever heard the term exsangious, though? Also, none of the dictionaries that have it are all that reputable. I think it's a mistake, and I'd not add that word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exsanguious is not a mistake. As I say, it's in the OED and it has no n because it has a slightly different etymology. It's not very common though, there are only 3 citations and the latest is 1841.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Is it marked as archaic or obsolete?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Is it marked as archaic or obsolete?

no

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
exsanguious is not a mistake. As I say, it's in the OED and it has no n because it has a slightly different etymology. It's not very common though, there are only 3 citations and the latest is 1841.
Well, I really don't get it then. What is the difference in meaning? Nothing? If the meaning is identical (and I think it is), it certainly doesn't make sense, particularly if it's not used. It's one thing to have synonyms of words, but to have the same word, with one letter missing and with the same meaning? If you say that's all true, goofy, I am going to write John Simpson and ask him about it.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the way things happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Apparently "exsanguineous" (with an extra "e") is also a variant spelling.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
exsanguineous

The OED says that one is obsolete.

posted Hide Post
Then let's all start using it! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure what the problem is. It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the way things happened.
After I wrote that, goofy, and got off the computer, I realized that of course it isn't considered another word...just a variant spelling. Duh! It has been a busy week here in Charlotte!

posted Hide Post
So have we bled this thread till it's dead? Roll Eyes

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
bloody interesting, wot

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post