Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No rest for the??? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My family always said, "no rest for the wicked." When I came to Chicago, people looked at me like I was crazy when I said that, and they said it is "no rest for the weary." In looking them up online, it seems both have some veracity. I guess they are separate sayings?

This Blog had an interesting perspective that the "no rest for the weary" is the working class variation? I doubt that since one couldn't come from more of a working class family than I did.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've only come across "no rest for the wicked". A "weary" variant seems like an eggcorn to me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, most people in my neck of the woods say "weary," and many of them are from quite cultured backgrounds.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
weary / wicked

I'd guess that it is a regional difference as Kalleh suggested. It probably started as a euphemism so as not to mention "wicked". The saying may go back to the Old Testament: Isiah 57:21, "[There is] no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." According to what I googled up, there are other candidates.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Things were so bad rest-wise in colonial America that the residents of what is now Kingston, RI, named their village Little Rest.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard it both ways. I suspect "wicked" is the earlier, being Old Testiment-derived, as Z says. If you're Julian Assange it's "No rest for the Wiki."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard both, but usually say "wicked" just because I like the word. Also, I like this song.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Cool song, caterwauler. First time I heard it, & this thread is my first encounter with "no rest for the wicked." I always thought "no rest for the weary" made perfect sense, but w/the Biblical quote ('peace' instead of 'rest') it makes sense the other way too.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
EVERYBODY'S wrong. It should be "no rest for the married."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting video, CW!

Bethree, I have always been teased for saying "no rest for the wicked," so I thought my mom had just embellished it, as she did with a number of phrases. However, I see that's not the case.