Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audience v vidience Login/Join

posted
I have, on occasion, pondered on the fact that we have the word 'audience', whereas 'vidience' (or a mixture of the two) doesn't exist. As everyone who can uses both senses when watching a film, play etc, why don't we have a word that incorporates both? And if that wasn't feasible, I'd love to know why hearing was chosen over vision to describe the collection of people who attend a performance (especially since, at least in modern parlance, we tend to say 'watch a play' rather than 'listen to a play').

I appreciate that a lot of early performance art centred on the spoken word (storytelling etc), but surely visual art forms such as dance are at least as old? I know we have the word 'spectator' but 'audience' is the more popular of the two - and neither really incorporates both senses anyway, as far as I know.

The funny thing is, the people who attend mime performances are still generally referred to as the audience Smile.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I think it's because early on the meaning of audience went from those who hear to those who experience. Interesting thing about both audio and video is that they're first person singular present indicatives of their respective verbs: literally, I hear and I see. Videre is cognate with English wit and German wissen.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Maybe an audience should really be called "the experiencers"?

Odd how the language evolves.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Yes, and funny how people say they go to see a concert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
Yes, and funny how people say they go to _see_ a concert.

It is, isn't it? I hadn't thought of that one! Although, having said that, many manufactured boy or girl bands have to rely heavily on superb visuals in their concerts because the vocal talent is so...well...non-existent Smile.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But don't people say they go to "hear" a concert usually? It seems that way to me, but I will take note next time.

I know we have the word 'spectator' but 'audience'

I know it isn't meant this way, but when I think of 'spectators,' I think they are attending a sporting event. I would never speak of a 'spectator' at a ballet or play.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Well, folks usually say they went to see a play, although they are part of the audience.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
And an audience watches a television show.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had this exact thought five minutes ago as I was considering whether those visiting a photoblog should be considered an audience. I wondered if there was a word vidience, consulted various dictionaries and finally googled it. I ended up in this discussion. Fantastic! Now here's a question. As you read this, are you a member of an audience or a vidience? I wonder what Derrida would think of that?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
To my Adiologist I sometimes say, "Can you hear me now?"

... And to my Ophthalmologist, "Can you see me now?"

... And the Chiropractor says, "I'm glad to see your back." ...

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
As you read this, are you a member of an audience or a vidience?

Readership, perhaps? Wink

Welcome Bro! Stick around and perhaps enter into other discussions if the spirit moves you!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
As you wrote in your Photoblog, Bro, "Audience is everything."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I read an article several years ago in which the author pointed out that people can generally be broken into three classes.

When you tell them your problem, one group will say, "I see what you're saying."

Another will say, "I hear what you're saying."

The third will say, "I feel for you in your (dilemma, trouble, etc.)

Each group senses the world in a different way.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Does nobody merely observe? That seems to be a perfectly good work to cover Cat's original query.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Members of a TV audience are often called "viewers," and of a radio audience, "listeners," and you often hear people say they have gone to view an art exhibit. They go to see a play, but usually, I think I hear people saying that they "go to a concert," not go to hear or see it.

Really interesting question, though, and now I'll always be noticing how people put these things.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
When I happen an orgy to see
Am I audience or a viewee?
Would they squawk if I talk?
Will they balk if I gawk?
Is it free or must I pay a fee?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If this unlikely thing does occur
And you sit there and watch him and her
As you listen and view
They just might not see you
If you're an accomplished voyeur