Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happiness Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the last few days, 2 different discussions of "happiness" have intrigued me. First I heard a radio report about a recent study of happiness across the world. Denmark came out on top. The radio report said that one of the reasons that Denmark was on top is because they don't have that high of expectations. Therefore, they don't get disappointed. In other words, according to the report I heard, if you have high standards, you aren't as happy. I saw that as a very superficial view of happiness.

Then...in the Chicago Tribune today I read an article about a book, "Against Happiness: In Praise of Melancholy." I haven't read the book, but I have read some articles about it. What the author (Eric G. Wilson) seems to say is that if you're happy all the time, you aren't experiencing life at its fullest. The unrest you feel is what makes you want to change things. Sadness makes you feel deeper. He distinguishes "happiness" from "joy," in that "...joy grows out of melancholy, the idea being that a fully lived, fully human life is a complex mixture between joy and sorrow, and thats ultimately what makes us human." Yet, he seems to see "happiness" in a very superficial way.

I don't see happiness as merely "contentment." I see it as a deeper emotion, more like Wilson's description of "joy." What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
60 Minutes had a piece about Denmark's high level of happiness. Tal Ben-Shahar was a guest on the show. He teaches Harvard's most popular course -the Psychology of Happiness. I have his book, Happier, which is a basic happiness "how to"... It promotes stopping to smell the roses, slowing down, meditating, being in the moment, etc. I do think that these behaviors are more prevalent /accepted in places like Denmark.

To me, happiness includes savoring each moment and accepting things in the "now" - but I also think that happiness is the path to our goal. It is not the goal. Like the illusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we never really reach the state of happiness. Yet, we certainly can enjoy all the rainbow's colors and sensations along the way.

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, your definition seems to be closer to that discussed by Wilson and that described in the worldwide study of happiness.

I see "happiness" as something that's more akin to Wilson's definition of "joy." I think if someone is genuinely happy, they get there by experiencing the ups and downs of life. They work through challenges, sometimes failing and sometimes not, but they reach a higher place after each challenge.

I am not saying that it isn't important to slow down and to smell the roses. People who are workaholics and don't slow down most definitely aren't happy. But I don't think that's all there is to happiness. I think it's a lot more complicated, as with the difference between "contentment" and "joy."

posted Hide Post
I think that it is vital for us feel engaged in life, whether at a fast or slow pace. At least in America, many people are happiest when striving toward purposeful goals, whether or not they succeed. Of course, most of us need to have some positive reinforcement (occasional successes) along the way.

Also, I think people can become accustomed to the adrenaline rush involved in the ongoing struggle (like "trauma junkie" nurses) and that's when they lose sight of the "roses" (moments of contemplation and contentment) along the way. One could also argue that, when we are engaged in intense (workaholic) struggles, we are very much engaged in the moment, just not in a slow and contented way.

On the other hand, spiritual seekers might consider that type of engagement to be a form of distraction from our deeper, more genuine selves.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard that term "trauma junkie nurses" before, but I surely have known some.

On an elevator today they had this little screen with all sorts of information (including words of the day), and this quote from Dr. Albert Schweitzer was shown:

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."

Good health is surely important.

posted Hide Post
That is quite funny. I think good health helps alot, and forgetting some of our bad memories could contribute to happiness ("ignorance is bliss"). Yet, I wouldn't want to forget all the good things at the same time.

Some of my least happy patients have had dementia. Of course, some of the happiest ones also had memory deficits. I have occassionally seen people in terrible health who somehow retained a happy disposition, but it has to be a huge challenge, and it is very rare.

I have also read that people who feel and demonstrate gratitude tend to be happier than those who grumble (counting our blessings and handing out praise instead of criticism). I find that I am happier when I focus on the positives in my life.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think that happiness is often a choice. I think you can choose to be miserable, or you can choose to see things in a more positive light. Contentment, well, I think it takes work. I see Joy as something that is more spontaneous and more of a surprise.

To me, it's like the difference between Passion and Love. Passion is fleeting - it hits you or it doesn't hit you and there is often little you can do to control whether or not you feel it. Love, though, is a choice. You can choose to love someone even if you don't like them much at the time.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
There was a good bit on happiness in the latest The Sun magazine. It somes out of NC. Do you know it? http://www.thesunmagazine.org/

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I think one of the problems about defining happiness is that it's a very imprecise word. Rather like the infamous "nice" it can mean all sorts of things. As with nice, it indicates a general condition, not a precise one.

For example, one could be happy if one were comfortable - but comfort does not equate with happiness - one could be quite comfortable and unhappy.

Even negative emotions could give rise to happiness; most people would be unhappy to learn of someone's death - but there are maybe a few people around whom one would be happy to see gone.

I suspect the Danish study was largely equating happiness with contentment and, if one accepts this comparison, then I can see how the Danes would be considered happy.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I think one of the problems about defining happiness is that it's a very imprecise word.

I agree it's a very imprecise word that is used to describe a wide set of feelings. To me, it is more a sense of elation than contentment. In this sense it strikes me suddenly, nearly always as a sense arising from preceding hard endeavour, physical or mental, or it emerges as a joyful release from some gloomy experience. I must be a melancholic Dane, at heart.
The one thing I am certain of is the utter futility of striving for, or planning for happiness.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, isn't it about time you brought up schadenfreude? Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh, isn't it about time you brought up schadenfreude?
Or...the English word for it. Wink

Yes, I agree that the study was probably reporting on "contentment," rather than "happiness." Regarding the quote from Dr. Albert Schweitzer, I have seen some very ill or disabled (that is, not healthy) people who, indeed, seem quite happy. On the other hand, we've all seen people who have wonderful health, great marriages, beautiful children, and still they just can't manage to be happy.

Pearce, I love your description of happiness.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
All a matter of perspective, I suppose...
http://www.superseventies.com/sl_meandbobbymcgee.html

posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's something to be pursued rather than attained.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
Perhaps it's something to be pursued rather than attained.

From my observations, to pursue happiness is doomed to failure. It's the apparent spontaneity, or emergence from some hard-pressed striving (e.g. success after working for a difficult exam or job interview) or from a miserable state, that brings such feelings.

They are almost invariably fleeting. However many use the word for other feelings, and they may well take a different view.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ironic, Pearce, that it is doomed to failure, but deemed a cause worth fighting a revolution over. "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is in the US Declaration of Independence.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is ironic. Perhaps I am naive, but I think we are all in the pursuit of happiness.

There was a perfect Sherman's Lagoon about happiness today.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Ironic, Pearce, that it is doomed to failure, but deemed a cause worth fighting a revolution over. "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is in the US Declaration of Independence.

Yes. But wars have been fought over many such useless quests, power, lands, economies and indeed the pursuit of happiness. Man doesn't seem to learn from his history.

"If you would live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things."
-- (as quoted in Kantha, An Einstein Dictionary, p. 176).
This roughly echoes my sentiments:
quote:
e.g. success after working for a difficult exam or job interview

posted Hide Post
For happiness let me be clear;
It's found in a cask of good beer!
With just a few glass
All misery passes
For Real Ale's the bringer of cheer!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"pursuit of happiness"

I thought this phrase was code for the original, Lockean one: estate or property. And, of course, for the Founding Fathers, a great part of their personal property consisted of chattel slaves.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought this phrase was code for the original, Lockean one: estate or property

As it happens, an old New Yorker I was reading this morning contains an article by John Lancaster that includes the following:
quote:

To non-Americans, talk of "the pursuit of happiness" can seem an amazing mixture of the simpleminded and the complex. What seems simple is that happiness is so straightforward that we all have a right -- a right!-- to seek it; what seems complex is the idea that what we're entitled to is, indeed, a pursuit, something strenuous and not necessarily successful. Some Marxists have thought that the right to pursue happiness was a last minute substitution for a previously drafted right to property, but [Darrin] McMahon [author of Happiness: A History] makes short work of that conspiracy theory. He points out that the Founding Fathers, who queried, crossed out, and haggled over every line of the Declaration, let the "pursuit of Happiness" stand unedited and unamended. But he also points out that the eighteenth-century understanding of "pursuit" was rather darker than it might seem now. Dr. Johnson's dictionary defined it as "the act of following with hostile intention," and McMahon adds that "if one thinks of pursuing happiness as one pursues a fugitive...the 'pursuit of happiness' takes on a somewhat different cast."

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
but [Darrin] McMahon [author of Happiness: A History] makes short work of that conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure I understand Mr McMahon's assertion. Is he suggesting that the Founding Fathers hadn't read Locke or were unaware that they were substituting pursuit of happiness for estate? It has been a long time since I was accused of being a Marxist though. As a contractor who owns his own business and a land owner, I find it humorous.
quote:
§87. Man being born, as has been proved, with a title to perfect freedom, and uncontrolled enjoyment of all the rights and privileges of the law of nature, equally with any other man, or number of men in the world, hath by nature a power, not only to preserve his property, that is, his life, liberty, and estate, against the injuries and attempts of other men; but to judge of and punish the breaches of that law in others, as he is persuaded the offence deserves, even with death itself, in crimes where the heinousness of the fact, in his opinion, requires it. But because no political society can be, nor subsist, without having in itself the power to preserve the property, and, in order thereunto, punish the offences of all those of that society; there and there only is political society, where every one of the members hath quitted his natural power, resigned it up into the hands of the community in all cases that excludes him not from appealing for protection to the law established by it.

[John Locke. Two Treatises of Government (link).]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I have to admit to being new to this debate. I had always assumed that "pursuit of Happiness" meant just that, or was a concise way of saying that one's life was one's own, rather than the State's. Even if one accepts that "life, liberty, and X" was drawn directly from Locke, it doesn't necessarily follow that "pursuit of Happiness" is code for "estate". Jefferson might have thought it more comprehensive, or just liked it better.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
§1 of the Amendment XIV of the US Constitution went back to the original wording:
quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I willing to concede that Jefferson may have just meant pursuing happiness. It's just a curiosity of sorts. I'm certain though that people would've taken note at the time.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I willing to concede that Jefferson may have just meant pursuing happiness

Well, he always seemed like a happiness-pursuing kind of guy to me.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Didn't Jefferson most likely derive his ideas not directly from Locke, but from Thomas Paine?
http://www.ushistory.org/paine/rights/

posted Hide Post
The Rights of Man wasn't published until 1791, so that's probably not the case. Paine had earlier works, and those probably influenced Jefferson.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thomas Paine

Maybe he did (link):
quote:
The end of all political associations, is, the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man; and these rights are liberty, property, security, and resistance of oppression.

I like imprescriptible. I take that to men that one's grammar is a right, too.

Too bad it came after the Declaration of Independence.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
And what of the French contribution to Paine, and vice-versa?

It seems to me that our government was born of the Age of Enlightenment, and is being dragged down by those very forces against which the Enlightenment rebelled.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
and is being dragged down by those very forces against which the Enlightenment rebelled.

Ain't that the truth. We live in an Age of Delusion.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. But wars have been fought over many such useless quests, power, lands, economies and indeed the pursuit of happiness. Man doesn't seem to learn from his history.
And other wars have been fought for very important, and laudable, reasons, including the Revolutionary War.

What an interesting discussion. I've certainly not heard of that theory of "pursuit of happiness."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's another article about happiness by Clarence Page. Once again the ability to define "happiness" is questioned. I had no idea that there is a field of "happiness studies" or that a "Journal of Happiness Studies" and a World Database of Happiness. Perhaps life is about the pursuit of happiness, however one may define it.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the list of Things That Suck? This also made it into a WIRED article you can read here.

Since we're really talking about Happiness . . .how about the list of Things That Don't Suck?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't even be bothered to look at the vapid outpourings of those who talk about things that "suck" or, indeed, things that don't "suck".

But I am willing to bet that many things will appear on both sites!

My solitary contribution to the list of "things that suck", is people who use the verb "to suck" for other than its proper meaning: "Draw into the mouth by creating a practical vacuum in the mouth".

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, CW, those lists were great! I was quite happy to see Border Collies on the "Things That Don't Suck" list. I thought it was funny that one of the Things That Suck was that the list of the Things That Don't Suck was shorter. Wink

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's a short hop, skip, and a sault from '[t]o draw (liquid) into the mouth by movements of the tongue and lips that create suction' as the A-H would have it (link) to '[t]o perform fellatio on' to the intransitive use to mean '[t]o be disgustingly disagreeable or offensive'. What is more curious in mind is the meaning which seems older than the 'things which are egregiously bad' meaning, i.e., people who have suck meaning 'influential people' who are a priori bad. This is probably related to both the fellatio meaning above and the slang to suck up meaning 'to be obsequious'. I don't think the mouth as locus into which the substance or thing is sucked is important, as I find that Hoover sucks up dirt fast seems perfectly acceptable.

[Written whilst listening to Serge Gainsbourg singing Suck Baby Suck.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I suppose that my main objection is that, by implication, the popular practice of fellatio is "disgusting, disagreeable or offensive". I am particularly irritated by the apparently common belief that there is something "not quite nice" about sex.

Although. let's face it, if we all eschewed this "not quite nice" sex business, the overpopulation problems of the world would be overcome in around half a century!

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
my main objection is that, by implication, the popular practice of fellatio is "disgusting, disagreeable or offensive"

Oral sex has enjoyed a popularity that is older than English. In Rome the role of sucker was viewed more negatively and the role of suckee more positively. In fact in Latin there are two different verbs, irrumo 'to extend the breast; give suck; defile or use in an obscene manner' and fello 'to suck' (in both senses), for these two acts. The words are used in the poems of Catullus and Martial pejoratively.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I suppose that my main objection is that, by implication, the popular practice of fellatio is "disgusting, disagreeable or offensive". I am particularly irritated by the apparently common belief that there is something "not quite nice" about sex.

I suppose we have the French to blame for this. Had someone had the good sense to snuff out Jean Calvino early on, the whole idiotic notion of foreordained damnation and sexual impropriety would not have happened. And we'd all be the happier for it!

And wasn't Fellatio a character in A Midslumber Night's (Wet) Dream?"
Oh, wait - I'm wrong! It's from Hamlet:

"Alas, poor Fellatio, I blew him well."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Seems like we've talked about this word before.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Back on topic: With regard to the US Constitution's notion of "pursuit of happiness," it's probably derived from the ideas of Francis Hutcheson, who considered the pursuit of happiness to be an attempt to seek advantage for our fellow creatures. Hutcheson saw "pursuit of happiness" as an ethical principle quite apart form any material pursuit. So, I think our materialistic, selfish present society is misinterpreting our Founding Fathers.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Francis Hutcheson

An interesting chapter, on the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, is the seventh one in John H Hazelton's The Declaration of Independence: Its History (1906, link). Some points of interest: (1) John Adams and Thomas Jefferson disagreed greatly on the drafting of the text, (2) Jefferson consistently used it's for the possessive of the third person neuter pronoun, and (3) the lovely, but archaic, verb, to con meaning 'to study in detail or commit to memory.
quote:
[Adams] says 'the committee (of 5. to wit, Dr Franklin, Sherman, Livingston and ourselves) met, discussed the subject, and then appointed him and myself to make the draught: that we, as a subcommittee met, & after the urgencies of each on the other, I consented to undertake the task; that the draught being made, we, the subcommittee, met, & conned the paper over, and he does not remember that he made or suggested a single alteration.' now these details are quite incorrect, the committee of 5. met, no such thing as a subcommittee was proposed, but they unanimously pressed on myself alone to undertake the draught. I consented; I drew it; but before I reported it to the committee, I communicated it separately to Dr Franklin and mr Adams requesting their corrections; because they were the two members of whose judgments and amendments I wished most to have the benefit before presenting it to the Committee; and you have seen the original paper now in my hands, with the corrections of Doctor Franklin and mr Adams interlined in their own handwritings.

their alterations were two or three only, and merely verbal. I then wrote a fair copy, reported it to the Committee, and from them, unaltered to Congress, this personal communication and consultation with mr Adams he has misremembered into the meetings of a sub-committee.

[Addendum: An argument against Hutcheson's influence on Jefferson:
quote:
The most well written and insightful critique of Wills's work was done by Ronald Hamowy. Hamowy held fast to the Lockean interpretation as he noted errors of explanation and fact in Wills's argument. Wills's argument that Jefferson's substitution of "pursuit of happiness" for Locke's "property" was proof that Hutcheson--not Locke--was the influence for the Declaration was destroyed by Hamowy. "If Jefferson chose to substitute the broader "pursuit of happiness" for "property" in his list of inalienable rights, it certainly was not because he substituted Hutcheson's notion of property for Locke's. There are simply no significant differences between the two thinkers on the subject." Both philosophers argued that the right to property was inalienable, but they simply did so in different fashions.

Although fascinating, Wills's argument was not convincing. He constantly stretched Jefferson's phrases to apply them to the Scottish Enlightenment. Wills also failed to compare the close links between Locke and Hutcheson. Although Hutcheson and the other Scottish philosophers were no doubt important to Jefferson, the Declaration too closely resembles Lockean political theory for Hutcheson to replace Locke as the major influence for Jefferson.

[Jeff Littlejohn. Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence, and Revolutionary Ideology, pp.6f. (link), Garry Wills (1978) Inventing America: Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, and Ronald Hamowy "Jefferson and the Scottish Enlightenment: A Critique of Garry Wills's Inventing America: Jefferson's Declaration of Independence," The William and Mary Quarterly 36, no. 4 (October 1979): 503-523.]]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
quote:
[Adams] says... I communicated it separately to Dr Franklin and mr Adams requesting their corrections;

Should this read "[Jefferson] says"? This makes much more sense given the context of the quote.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Should this read "[Jefferson] says"?

No, Jefferson is quoting Adams. After the quotation, Jefferson writes: "now these details are quite wrong ..."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I dunno... The preamble to the Constitution seems more a mix of Hobbes and Hutcheson than Locke. If Lockean, however, out present emphasis on finding happiness in things purely material would make some sense.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wordcrafter Quentin Letts has written an article for the Daily Mail on a book by travel writer Eric Weiner called The Geography Of Bliss. He is apparently a correspondent for NPR. Has anyone over there read it or heard of it? I found a fairly scathing review here, although it doesn't specifically mention Weiner's views on the British.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Woo-hoo! Another snowclone. Thai words for smile. There didn't seem to be a word for the smile you smile when you know someone is talking rubbish and feel a little shudder of superiority because you recognize the rubbish it is.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Americans are eagerly swallowing this analysis of our national psyche.

Mr Weiner's book is reportedly hurtling off bookshop shelves over there. No doubt, many of his eager buyers are paid-up members of America's anti-British squad.
Not the case. I don't think the book is "hurtling off the shelves" and surely we don't think the British are "miserable." That's another example of generalizing. That Weiner seems to base his books on opinion, rather than fact or research. Oh...and I'd get another name, were I he. Roll Eyes

On the other hand, I can't let Letts (this thread has all sorts of fun names!) off the hook either. This comment is a bit tiresome itself:
quote:
He probably has good cause to be twitchy. Many of us do, indeed, find American chirpiness tiresome and fake.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah, but Quentin Letts, if you'd ever heard him (he turns up on TV over here) delivers all of his journalism with an admirable tongue-in-the-cheek-ness.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post