Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Makin' of bacn Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Last Saturday a new word was invented. It's not doing badly! What do you call everyday email that is a step above spam? This could be Wordcrafter's word of the day or other sorts of alerts. They aren't spam, but you might not want to get to them right now. It was coined at the PodCast Pittsburgh 2 conference when attendees were talking about being overwhelmed with email, such as with Facebook alerts or other such things. Somebody hollered out, "bacon!" as a spoof on "spam." In spelling it they left out the "o" as an "in-jest tribute."

Have you heard of it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Now that'san important distinction! I read that the purported word-coiners were discussing Canadian bacon over breakfast, & someone mentioned that it's also called "peameal bacon"-- sounds like... a new 'word' was born.

I'm thinking, as one who prizes real words (you know, the ones with no letters left out?), we wordcrafters should establish some categories of our own...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Catapostrophe (the egregious misuse of the apostrophe) is my bid for lexicographical skill.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the egregious misuse of the apostrophe

Yes, the apostrophe in makin is incorrect because no g was dropped, only a velar nasal; became an alveolar one. Cf. this Language Log entry. Oh, I'm sorry. You, no doubt, meant the droppin of the apostrophe in bacn. That does not obtain. It's a willful misspelling for trademarking purposes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
You, no doubt, meant the droppin of the apostrophe in bacn.

No. I meant the egregious misuse of the apostrophe in any context. I was responding to the suggestion that we should submit our own words.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zmježd:
the droppin of the apostrophe in bacn

Perhaps in another thread we should consider witty song lyrics satirizing such misuse-- I can almost tap my foot to this one! Wink

p.s. love catapostrophe, RE. How about commatose, lots of mindless errors made there.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As you can see, I copied the Tribune on my title for his thread (will they sue me for copyright infringement or plagiarism or something?). Therefore, any catapostrophe I will blame on them!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post