Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Greek words for Hebrew events
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greek words for Hebrew events Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Why is it that the Greek-based words such as diaspora and holocaust are used to describe Jewish catastrophes rather than Hebrew words?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine that the term "holocaust" occurred because the Germans were responsible for that tragedy. Yet, many Germans helped out Jews. Most likely the term, therefore, started in their country with private debates, much like our debates (nothing is private anymore) currently about WMD. That acronym certainly wasn't around before Iraq.

Now, I am only guessing and have no source for this belief. It is a very good question, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
... about WMD. That acronym certainly wasn't around before Iraq.
QUOTE]
According to Wikipedia, the phrase weapons of mass destruction (WMD) "originated in 1937 to describe the use of strategic bombers by the German Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War". Duing the Cold War, WMD referred only to nuclear weapons. (Only one country so far has used nuclear weapons.) The modern sense of WMD to refer to NBC weapons (nuclear, biological and chemical) originated with U.N. Resolution 687 of April 3, 1991. There is disagreement over what constitutes WMDs or NBCs. The site lists 33 countries that, according to the Federation of American Scientists (FAS) are "possessing, pursuing or capable of acquiring nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, and missile delivery systems as of 2000".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Holocaust" is of Greek origin, and originally meaning burnt offering" but given the meaning "massacre" by Milton in 1671. My best information, although there is some conflict, is that this word was not applied to the Nazi Holocaust until the late 1950.

Originally the jewish writers refered to it as Shoah (and to a lesser degree, as Khurban). I cannot say how it came to be displaced.

The word Shoah is coming back into use, partly because holocaust's original meaning is inconguously a positive, relegious one, but more because other groups are co-opting holocaust for their own causes, and thus trivializing it.

The meaning of the word shoah as a general, non-capitalized term is sometimes given as "catastrophe," sometimes as "whirlwind".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks, wordnerd. That was illustrative and precisely the reason why I think we have such a great word board.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Amen, Kalleh! That was a definitive answer!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post