Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Panting: singularly lacking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panting: singularly lacking Login/Join

posted
It occured to me that words such as pants and shenanigans are used only in the plural. The singular is lacking: you never fix a pant or commit a shenanigan.

What are others of this type, and is there a general reason that explains many of these anomalies?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, but my dog has a good "pant"! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scissors, breeches, trousers, tweezers, forceps, compasses (geom.), braces (US suspenders), coffee grounds, lees, grouchings (beer sediment), dregs, pliers, calipurs, jodhpurs, pyjamas, knickers, drawers, briefs, shorts, bloomers, culottes, spectacles, finings ...

It seems things which are bifurcated or powder-like are most likely to be used in the plural.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
t seems things which are bifurcated or powder-like are most likely to be used in the
plural.
--------------------------------------------
Oh, am I confused! For years I've been serving myself with a salad tong and eating with a forks.

Seriously, I find it odd that a fork, which is seldom bifurcate, but three or four-pronged, is singular.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have always said "shenanigan" anyway, and when I look it up on dictionary.com, it is listed as "a shenanigan", though it does say that it's often used in the plural.

Still, I agree with you that some it is strange that some words are singular (fork), while others (pants) are plural.

Now, Asa, I have to disagree with you about "tong"; I do say "tongs", and dictionary.com says, "To seize, hold, or manipulate with tongs." You wouldn't say to hold with a tong, would you?

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Aug 2nd, 2003 at 14:09.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, I find it odd that a fork, which is seldom bifurcate, but three or four-pronged, is singular.

Well, Asa, have you ever been at a backyard picnic with those wonderful plastic forks? You start with a fork, then a tine breaks off. Now you have a threek. Another tine breaks off and you have a twok. When one more breaks off, you call that an unk and throw the durn thing out! Wink Big Grin Razz

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post