Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A persistent mosquito? A persevering mosquito?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A persistent mosquito? A persevering mosquito? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What is the difference, if any, between “to persist” and “to persevere“?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just a first thought but I would say persevere implies agency but persist doesn't. Both you and the rain may persist but only you can persevere. That is (probably) how I would use them. In the case of the mosquito I'd say, most likely, no agency is involved unless it's a Disney mosquito in which case, like cartoon ants at a picnic there definitely is.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see persistent as almost annoying, as it is pestering about something time and time again. "Mommy, can I have a cookie? Please? Pretty please?" etc.

However, I see perseverance as more positive and more long-term. "I have persevered for years to get my PhD."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, Bob and Kalleh are both right.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu posted this on Extreme Pedantry, a FB group and they told him it wasn't a pedantic question. So glad I don't post on that group. From what I hear, most are Brits and they are a bit anti-American.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Oh the irony...a group devoted to pedantry that get pedantic about what pedantry is. Priceless.

(And I am perfectly sure that the same group would object to my use of the word "irony" above.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I may pop over to the group formed by my erstwhile English teacher devoted to pedantry - which I joined so that I could tell everyone there how wrong they are - and ask the question.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'd love an Englishman telling them they are wrong. Your English teacher started it?