Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Will the "real" definition please stand up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the "real" definition please stand up Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Yesterday the question of what "real" means in "real estate" came up in a discussion of public land trusts. (An odd discussion for a bunch of lawnmower and chain saw mechanics!) This should be a good question for real estate lawyer Shufitz as well as the lexicographers. So, whaddaya say, folks?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
According to my law dictionary, "real" is an acronym which stands for "Richness Envelops All Lawyers." I'm sure Shu can verify this.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED on real:

quote:
c. Consisting of immovable property, as lands and houses; esp. real estate (see ESTATE n. 11); also attrib.

1641 Decay Trade 2 The price and measure of all our other meanes both personall and reall.

posted Hide Post
And, if I recall correctly, the real derives from Latin res (thing).

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
immovable property

Real property in French is bien immobilier: bien 'goods, things' + immobilier 'unmovable' (cf. estate < Latin status 'standing'; static). Furniture in French is meuble, literally movable.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post