Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gastroc nemius Login/Join

posted
Every definition I find for gastro or gastric relates to the stomach. Why is a muscle with this prefix in my lower leg? The dictionaries I have searched so far only relate nemius to gastroc nemius which is not helpfull.

Posts: 43 | Location: Redditch UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one for Kalleh this one

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quark:Why is a muscle with this prefix in my lower leg?

I may have found something. It says here that it is 'The muscle which gives a 'bellying' form to the calf of the leg'. The association seems obvious but I still think that Kalleh would be able to tell you more.

posted Hide Post
The visual simmilarity seemed too obvious. Besides it is more of a party seven than a six pack. Hardly an athletic immage. I have now found a better origin of nemius part as the Nemare Valley in Greece where games were held.

Posts: 43 | Location: Redditch UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most men are more likely to have a party 7 than a 6 pack. Come to think of it, most men are likely to have considerably more than a party 7! Nevertheless, you are obviously free to dismiss my pearls of wisdom if you wish. Brothers!!! Roll Eyes

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ummm, are you two pulling my leg?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bellying hypothesis sounds reasonable enough to me. Most anatomical names are visually descriptive. Sella turcica and substantia nigra are among my favs.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
My fav is Dura Mater - "Tough Mother! Considering the number of times I've been dropped on my head, I'm glad she tough! ;-)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are correct about "gastrocnemius." The "gastroc" refers to belly (of the muscle), while kneme is "leg" in Greek.

Yes, medical words are great, aren't they? I like how so many are related to colors as aput recently pointed out in a thread (like leukocyte or erthyrocyte).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post