Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Infectivity Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This morning during my commute to work I listened to the news on NPR and heard some bureaucrat, when discussing the incineration of diseased animal carcasses, utter the above. I suspect that it's his own coinage, and a clumsy one at that. Has anyone else heard anyone say it - other than an apparatchik?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I've heard it before, but it is in dictionary.com, meaning, "capable of producing infection; infectious."

You see, this is one of those times when jheem and I disagree. I don't understand why 2 words like this exist (infectious and infectivity) when they mean precisely the same thing.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It certainly appears in my dictionary as well so I assume it wasn't one of his own coinage unless he is exceptionally old. Nevertheless, I would agree that it sounds rather clumsy and certainly wouldn't be a word I would choose. Like Kalleh, I would always opt for infectious instead.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I don't understand why 2 words like this exist (infectious and infectivity) when they mean precisely the same thing.

They wouldn't though, would they?. Wouldn't infectious be an adjective and infectivity a noun?
Infectivity would be the same as infectiousness.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Infectivity returns 171K googlehits. Seems like a strange word to me, but it's definitely one used in medicine.

One definition I found online is: "The proportion of persons exposed to an infectious agent who become infected by it."

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Jheem, that's just how he used it, so I supppose it's part of the jargon of the disease control folk. And Bob, you're right!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post