Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organic food Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It seems to some that the term "organic food," which once implied for most people food grown in an entirely natural way, has been hijacked by the big agri-businesses, and it doesn't mean much of anything now. I've long thought the term too vague, since such products as the banned DDT are products of organic (carbon-based) chemistry. The French use the term, "biologique." That makes more sense to me. How do you see this issue?

See this review for one slant: http://www.powells.com//review/2006_07_16

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
big agri-business

You forgot big biz's partner in crime, the Gummint. They've been involved for a while certifying things and making definition.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with you, Asa. I think the phrase "organic food" actually means nothing these days...except that whatever has that label will be more expensive.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I can think of very few "inorganic" foods myself. Salt is the only only that springs immediately to mind.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I also like the liberally-used phrase "all natural". I am amazed all of the "natural" ingredients they need to include!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, all good English beers use nothing but "narural" ingredients and are proud to show them on their bottle labels (although they are not obliged to, even under the UK's stringent labelling regulations).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also like the liberally-used phrase "all natural".

It can be deceptive: "natural raspberry flavor" can be made from maize.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yup. A friend of mine was once dating a chemist who spent his days finding out what "natural" ingredients could be made to taste like other "natural" ingredients. He went on and on about using inner tree bark to produce some kind of fruit flavor or something. I can't remember the details because I was too busy trying to stay awake while trying to figure out what it was my friend saw in this guy.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
dating a chemist who spent his days finding out what "natural" ingredients could be made to taste like other "natural" ingredients. ... using inner tree bark to produce some kind of fruit flavor or something. I was ... trying to figure out what it was my friend saw in this guy.
Proving once again that there's no accounting for tastes. Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proving once again that there's no accounting for tastes.

Left a bad taste in my mouth, I'll tell ya.

~Dalai Lama