Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Yes, we have no bananas...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, we have no bananas... Login/Join

posted
Nothing to do with the title - that lyric was just echoing round my head at the time!

What I wanted to ask was about the word "handful". The plural, to be precise. Should it be handfuls or handsful? Likewise armfuls or armsful, etc. etc. ad nauseum...

I like the latter option, handsful, because it seems to me that it makes more sense, but maybe I'm just being deliberately awkward!

Any thoughts?

Ros

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Any thoughts?
---------------------
In my case, yes, but they're utterly inane, thus of little value.

I've only seen "handfulls," but if you prefer the other, why not?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
plural anomalies

3. Plurals of compound words. These ordinarilly form their plurals logically by attatching the -s to the noun element in them,or, if there is more than one noun, to the significant one. Listeners-in, sons-in-law, heirs presumptive, master mariners, tugs of war, deeds poll.
But many familiar compounds now make their plurals as if they were single words (char-a-bancs, will-o'-the-wisps, four-in-hands)especially if they contain no noun (ne'er-do-wells, forget-me-nots) or are -ful compounds (handfuls, mouthfuls,spoonful;s) or are PHRASAL VERBS used as nouns (take-offs, knock-outs, call-ups)

Fowler

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I do wish someone would tell the BBC this. Especially since they have gone to such extreme lengths to learn how to pronounce (or so they say) Bombay and various other names, I cannot fathom why they will not educate their journalists to speak English correctly.

Listening to the news is becoming more of a cringe-making excercise than an instructive occupation.

Sigh......

Roll Eyes

Tadpole

Posts: 48 | Location: Avon, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
B.H., you surprise me. I had always been taught that "handsful" was correct for the same reason "mothers-in-law" was. I've never heard of an exception for "ful" words.

Then again, I've often proudly and publicly stated that I have given many fantastic "feetrub" in my life.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post