Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phronesis Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was reminded today in a lecture about Aristotle's 3 ways of knowing: episteme (cognitive), techne (skills) and phronesis. The latter word means (in Onelook): "wisdom in determining ends and the means of attaining them", or "prudence". Yet, our speaker said he once asked someone who is fluent in Greek to translate it, and it means "knowing when, and how much, you can break the rules." I just know that my kids know all about that word!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In other words, it means "cunning." Or it means being the head of a US corporation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I suppose.

A physician presented it to us to explain what experts (versus novices) in medicine do in order to make diagnose and treat patients. Since no patient presents the same, it can be difficult. According to this speaker, novice physicians get into trouble because they leave out certain information on their patients' historys so that the disease will be the textbook picture. However, the experts can see through that and may push the envelope in making a diagnosis, thus practicing with phronesis.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here's where we need Museamuse! Where the heck IS she?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I do miss her, too, Asa! Frown Shufitz catches her every so often on instant messenger, and I guess she is just really busy.

I love Fuller's 1845 beer...and the Cubs!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I love Fuller's 1845 _beer_...

Isn't it a bit past its sell-by date?

Actually, and here's a new word for you, there's a Spring and Autumn brew one can get in the UK, it's a [coming up] metheglin and it's called Honey Dew. That's rather a nice-sounding name for a beer, until you think that the honeydew (all one word) is a plant that is best known as a carnivore.

Honey Dew beer

To save you looking it up, metheglin is a beer that was originally made many years ago; it contains honey and corn (barley, wheat, whatever was available). It was mainly brewed because it increased the alcohol content and hence beer's keeping qualities before the discovery that hops helped beer to keep without having to increase the alcohol content.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bear, I wasn't able to pull up your link. BTW, that Fuller's 1845 tagline was just added to my posts because of a bet I made regarding the Cubs in Community. I think it may become a bit confusing to those who don't read the Community posts or to newcomers! I will delete it when baseball season is over.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
-------------------------------
I don't know about beer, but Piper Cubs, and their predecessors, the Taylor Cubs, were what put general aviation on the map in the USA. Kalleh, I'm surprised and delighted to see that you have an interest in aviation! Wink

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The date celebrates the founding of the brewery and not the beer.

Honeydew is a fine beer (as are all Fuller's beers) and another London brewer, Youngs, produce a similar beer.

If you go to http://www.fullers.co.uk and follow the links you can find out about their beers (and their US distributors)

Youngs beer is called Waggledance and is named after the special movements that honey bees are said to make that show their co-workers where there is a good source of nectar.

Go to http://www.youngs.co.uk/ to find out more.

I think I'll have a pint of it today!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh, I'm surprised and delighted to see that you have an interest in aviation!
Okay, okay, already. I get the point, guys. I am taking off that stupid tagline, despite the Cubs's brilliant defeat of Atlanta.

Confused With my luck on this board, I probably have the apostrophe wrong too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I will delete it when baseball season is over.

And when do they stop playing rounders?

Wink

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I looked up "rounders" and found that it is an English ball game, similar to baseball?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked up "rounders" and found that it is an English ball game, similar to baseball?

It is, except that almost nobody above the age of about eleven ever plays it.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's a [coming up] metheglin and it's called Honey Dew. That's rather a nice-sounding name for a beer, until you think that the honeydew (all one word) is a plant that is best known as a carnivore.

Honeydew has another meaning, and it sounds far less palatable than that beer.

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post