Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"to progress" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I'm used to progress as a noun and as an intransitive verb ("make progress"; "to prrogress to the next level"). But ichael Jordon used it as a transitive verb, with a direct object:
    I think Pax [John Paxson] is doing a great job. ... I think he's going to progress this Chicago [basketball] franchise to get them back on top."
This usage was new to me. You?

And would you pronounce it pro'-gress or pro-gress'?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It doesn't sound too weird if you put the emphasis on the second syllable - unless you're a Lakers fan. (They're from Minnesota, right?)

Asa, who plans to digress, or congress, or something

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I read the same article and just assumed that Jordan is better at basketball than at speaking.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've seen it before. More management-speak I'm afraid. No doubt Michael Jordan has become infected by his financial advisors and publicity wonks.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It's right up there with "to grow one's business" instead of "to build or expand one's business."

They both grate on my nerves, but "to grow the business" seems to be here to stay. It's been around for awhile. This is the first time I've heard "to progress" used in that manner.

Next he'll be successing his Chicago Basketball Franchise.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
More management-speak I'm afraid.

OH yes, this is another usage that I've heard. Sigh. I guess libraries really ARE big business. My CEO will be so proud to know it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post