Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Dictionaries of the late 1700s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dictionaries of the late 1700s Login/Join

posted
I was watching a program on C-SPAN about coded/encrypted messages used during the US Revolution. The speaker referred to a work called Entic's New Spelling Dictionary, or something similar. I find nothing on it. Can anyone shed some light on it?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another question: The speaker averred that in the late 1700s "i" and "j" were pronounced the same, as were "u" and 'v." Is this so? I thought they differentiated earlier.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The speaker referred to a work called Entic's New Spelling Dictionary, or something similar.

John Entick (link) was an 18th century hack writer, and not much of a lexicographer. What is he supposed to have done?

(link).

The speaker averred that in the late 1700s "i" and "j" were pronounced the same, as were "u" and 'v." Is this so? I thought they differentiated earlier.

Well, if the speaker was talking about letters, i and j were interchangeable in spelling, but the statement does not make much sense to me. These letter represented the sounds /ʤ/ (as in judge), /j/ (as in yet), /ɪ/ (as in bit), and /i/ (as in mean amongst others).

I wouldn't really have much faith in the mass media when it comes to matters linguistic. If you want to learn more about encryption, etc., you're better off reading David Kahn's The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good, z! I note that he gives both the earlier and current form of "s," and that he spells "color" as I just did.

The speaker who cited this work did so in the context of its being used as a base work for codes in which a page, line, and word number were given in the encoded message, so that the same edition of the work was essential to deciphering it. He did NOT comment on the quality of Entick's scholarship!

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
you're better off reading David Kahn's The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing.

Yeah, if you have a few months free and you're a body-builder.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
He did NOT comment on the quality of Entick's scholarship!

Ah, very good then. But seriously, Kahn's book is the bomb!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truth to tell I'm not really fascinated by codes; I am fascinated with early US history, thanks to all the current rewriting of much of it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Another question: The speaker averred that in the late 1700s "i" and "j" were pronounced the same, as were "u" and 'v." Is this so? I thought they differentiated earlier.

It's not really about pronunciation. It was just a spelling convention. The letter j was originally a variant of i. It was introduced from French, for instance iust or just.

Similarly v was a variant of u used word-initially, for instance vs (us) and vinegar. In other positions u was used, for instance muddie and ouer (over).

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
interesting, goofy! I've often wondered about those variations. I come across them [& I think a couple of others] when singing madrigals, which mostly date to the 16c., is that when these forms were used? and I gather there was some reason to selecting, say v rather than u, i rather than j, etc? Do you like any particular references on the subject?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked this up in A Biography of the English Language, C.M. Millward, 1988.

J was introduced with Norman French. As far as I can tell, J was rarely used but when it was used, it was used interchangeably with I until late in the 17th century.

V was used word-initially, and U was used everywhere else (as in the examples I gave) from around 1500 to 1800.