Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

antsy, ancy Login/Join

posted
This morning I clicked on a link which took me to a film commentary blog about the Oscar nominations. In it, Kristopher Tapley writes:
quote:
My major categories are firm, but some of my tech predictions have me ancy.

Correctly, it's "antsy," of course, but I'm always mildly shocked to see mistakes such as this, obviously not just a typo, within the work of what could be considered a pretty fair writer. Perhaps some of you recall similar errors in articles or letters you have read?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Since the year is just starting, it might be interesting to make this thread a prospective one, where we note down goofs as we spot them. At the end of the year we could award booby prizes for the worst blunders.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My major categories are firm, but some of my tech predictions have me ancy.

Correctly, it's "antsy," of course, but I'm always mildly shocked to see mistakes such as this, obviously not just a typo, within the work of what could be considered a pretty fair writer. Perhaps some of you recall similar errors in articles or letters you have read?[/QUOTE]

Here's the latest fall-off-my-twig mispelinng: ukalayleigh <!!!>

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shu, a fine idea. Smile

David, I await "Ukalayleigh" someday becoming "Most Popular Girl Baby Name" of the year. Eek

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, we could have a thread on egg corns. Good idea, Shu!

Interesting, did you know that ancy can mean someone who is beloved?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Here's the latest fall-off-my-twig mispelinng: ukalayleigh <!!!>

I thought that was an Irish cudgel with strings on it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought that was an Irish cudgel with strings on it.

Good'un, A.L.! Thanks for the pleasant chuckle.

But the Irish cudgel is a shillelagh, even tho it rimes with my transmogrified ukulele orthography.

David

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post