Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Weird sport related phrases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird sport related phrases Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
1. Keep your eye on the ball
2. Head in the game
3. Winningest Team, coach, player
4. [Randy Wolf is recovering from] Tommy John surgery.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was really surprised to see "winningest" in the dictionary, even though it is called "informal." It's a strange word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Winningest was used yesterday by the BBC!!! Tiger Woods is now the second most winningest Major tournament golfer.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We had a thread about this for a while in 2002; see https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/74160389...596041821#8596041821

I'm sure there are plenty more, though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:
Winningest was used yesterday by the BBC!!! Tiger Woods is now the second most winningest Major tournament golfer.
Is that how they used it? I'd say "the second winningest" rather than "the second most winningest".

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
quote:
Is that how they used it? I'd say "the second winningest" rather than "the second most winningest".

Are you implying that one sounds any better than the other?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you implying that one sounds any better than the other?
Or perhaps that one sounds "less not quite right than the other? Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or perhaps that one sounds "less not quite right than the other?

That's it! Oh, and the word for Less Not Quite Right is LNQR.

OK, I thought of another one (weird sports phrase). When a gymnast lands perfectly at the end of a routine on the uneven parallel bars, they say she "really stuck that landing."

To [really] stick the landing--is the image one of a dart that lands in the bullseye or something?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I thought "stick the landing" means to stand firm when dismounting - as in gymnastics.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Speaking of weird sports related phrases, in Webb City, Missouri, when they discovered that the Boys & Girls Club was occupying an unsafe building, the Mayor declared, "Someone dropped the ball." (from the Joplin Globe)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sports-related metaphors are sprinkled all over the corporate and political landscape. In fact, there is a book, the name of which escapes me--something like Hardball for Women, which discusses the differences in male and female speech patterns and advises women to use sports metaphors if they want to get ahead in business.

posted Hide Post
Being a sports fan for most of my life, I honestly can't find anything wrong with "winningest". It sounds a lot better than "most winning". For this same reason, "second most winningest" is completely absurd. Both "second most winning" and "second winningest" are completely acceptable.

I realize where you are coming from when you say that "winningest" is abhorrent, but I've heard it for so long that to me, "most winning" sounds a bit off.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"winningest" is abhorrent

Whyever would somebody say it's abhorrent? Winning is an adjective, and winningest is its superlative form. I think sombody may have dropped the ball in grammar school.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
That's the abhorrentest superlativist ball-droppingest remark we ever conceived of.

More superlatives than you can shake a stick at.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, from the previous discussion, it seemed like people were really against it.

As for grammar school, they taught me just about nothing about grammar. I learned not to use "ain't", and that's the extent of it.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, my defensiveness is coming out, I suppose. I was the first to question "winningest" by saying, "it's a strange word." I hadn't heard of it and was surprised that it's a word. That's all. I am not becoming a prescriptivist, I promise.

Remember, this "strange word" phrase is coming from someone who regularly uses "epicaricacy." Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and the word for Less Not Quite Right is LNQR.

Yippeeee! As a Scrabble addict, I'm always on the lookout for strange and beautiful stuff like words with no vowels and words with a "Q" but no "U". LNQR works BOTH ways!!! But wait...it isn't listed in the official Scrabble dictionary. Now, how did they miss that little jewel???? Roll Eyes

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post