Notify
Tools

Are we "lexiphiles"? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted

Question:
Our museamuse proposes,
quote:
How about 'lexiphile'? It uses the word 'lexis' which is a direct reference to the word 'word' instead of language as a whole. I don't know if this is a word, but in my book it should be!
Though I couldn't find it in any on-line dictionary, I agree with muse: the coinage is perfect. Agreed that we are now to be called lexiphiles?

Choices:
aye
nay
you can't get unanimity about anything
call me anything you like, but don't call me late to dinner

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The word logophile does appear in the dictionary, and means a lover of words. Why coin a new word when we already have a perfectly serviceable alternative?

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Why
coin a new word when we already have a perfectly serviceable alternative?

All too often I her "logos" as a religious term, as in the "Word of God." Being unreligious myself, I like the more neutral coinage that does not have any "baggage" associated with it. Yes, this is MY "baggage," but it feels right.
smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
My incompleteness, arnie. I should have given the link to the rationale suggesting that lexiphile and linguaphile would have slightly different meanings. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
I would be careful using the term lexiphile since it also has other connotations.

But lexicomaniac and lexiphane are good alternatives.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And--what are those other connotations, autotheist? If we coin the word, can't we define it any way we want to?
In trying to find lexiphile even cited (and I couldn't), I found lexiphane (as "lexiphanicism") in the Grandiloquent Dictionary; it is a useful word, but it doesn't really describe a word-lover (the original question), does it? Its definition: Lexiphanicism- Showing off by using words.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Tue Sep 3rd, 2002 at 9:28.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I favor "logophile" over "lexiphile". Better yet, "word lover". I see no need to use an arcane term when an easily-recognizable one will do. Perhaps "logophile" will become a common term some day, but I doubt it. I'm speaking from a USA perspective; I have no idea how common it is in Britain.

When most people here think of "logo", they think of a company symbol (logogram or logotype - OED), so they would associate "logophile" with a lover of logos.

I do like "linguaphile", though. It has a nice sound, and "lingua-" looks enough like language that I think most people could figure it out.

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Tue Sep 3rd, 2002 at 22:08.]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Kalleh notes "Lexiphanicism - Showing off by using words" -- of which I found a humorous example while searching this topic. From the "about the author" page of the excellent Phrontistery site:
quote:
Whether you prefer the term logolept, verbivore, logophile, epeolater, or logodaedalus, to name only a few, I count myself among that odd crowd who takes great joy in the mere mention of a new or interesting word
Definitions of the above, found on that site or elsewhere:
>>logolept - a word maniac
>>epeolatry - worship of words
>>logodaedalus - artificer in words (logodaedalus, logodaedaly = vebbal legerdemain)

[This message was edited by shufitz on Wed Sep 4th, 2002 at 14:54.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman,
I think I agree with you that "word lover" is best of all (much like the scare crow is best of all to Dorothy! big grin). Why use a fancy word when you don't have to? Just today, I was in a meeting when our executive director said that we will, "utilize the system...." I have always hated the word "utilize". While "utilize" is not exactly highfalutin, "use" is simpler. Or maybe logophiles don't want to use simple words! razz

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post