Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Limericks Revisited
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limericks Revisited Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
For those who can see the discussion programmes by Robert Kilroy Silk that we have on BBC 1 TV on weekday mornings, I recommend a programme that was broadcast some weeks ago (I feel sure there is an archive of repeats somewhere)

This was about "high class" prostitutes and there were two girls (we tend to refer to them as "call-girls" over here - I don't know what they're called in the USA) both of whom claimed that they had chosen their career deliberately.

One was a university lecturer in media studies with a PhD, who claimed she could earn more in one evening in a London hotel bar than she earned in a week at the university. The other was a South African who had come to London make enough money to buy a good property in South Africa and settle down - which goal she claimed she would have achieved by that weekend. She was earning around £15,000 ($23,758) every month - far more than she could have earned in any "legitimate" profession.

There was, of course, the usual hysterical commentary from those who had never done the work and those who had only seen the ravages that the profession can undoubtedly exact from those operating in its worst areas. However, these two girls, who were doing the job, though choice, remained calm and it was so clear that they (and only they) were in a position to know what they were talking about whereas their detractors were not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:18.]

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
(ref _Go Ahead! Quit Your Day Job!_
Our Kalleh is sharp as a cactus. etc.)

Changing the second line to, _Her wit will always attract us_ will smooth it out. It eliminates the extra beat caused by the stumbling block _constantly_. Quite right.

_Etcetera_ and _ betterer_ rhyme while _tops, pops_ and _knot_ don't? You betcha! A certain flexibility is allowed when new words are coined for comic effect. But "tops/pops (fine so far)/KNOT," sorry, no way.

If you had spelled the word out as _etcererer_, it would have been betterer. Or beterer yet just to go with the correct "et cetera." Either way you're right again. Good call. As Meat Loaf said, "Two outa three ain't bad!"

Tinman

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Kalleh's a mean old disrupter.
No one is any corrupter.
She ruined the mood,
Complained about lewd.
Pardon this poor interrupter!

[Perhaps I was a bit judgemental.]

Coming Around the Far Turn,
Actually It's CJ by a Nose!
Our Kalleh's most burning ambition
Is reaching a supreme position.
She says, as disrupter,
No one is corrupter?!
My God, what a strange competition!!

Sorry K. but in this particular race I see you and R.E. finishing well out of the money. Good limerick, though - a "B"

Regarding being judgemental, no sweat. We all have our opinions. I firmly believe that anything consenting adults to in private is perfectly OK. The three key words there, of course, are "consenting," "adults," and "private." Alter any one of the three and it's a whole other matter entirely.

To link this general topic more closely to the subject of language, have you ever noticed that the prostitutes you mention (the poor, the beaten and diseased, the desperate and homeless etc) are most often seen as "whores" while those women who view their profession as being worthy of respectability (TrossL and the two R.E. mentions) are seen simply as "sex workers"? And of course, go up a couple more rungs on the status ladder to the woman who has acheived great success in this field (Heidi Fleiss, for example) and what is the term we use for her?

"Celebrity"!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting point, CJ (pun not intended) Razz.

Dear TrossL, I value you here.
You even drink Richard's fine beer!
You deserve my respect,
For your intellect,
And your honesty, too, is most clear!

[Meter-challenged, I know, but what's a woman to do? Just keep me out of those double dactyls! Big Grin TrossL, "my bad".]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:

Or beterer yet just to go with the correct "et cetera."

Yeah, I thought it might be two words, but I found it on dictionary.com listed as one word and assumed it was from the AHD. My mistake. That was from WordNet, Princeton University. The AHD and Webster's Revised Unabridged list it as two words. The OED lists it both ways (et cetera first). Yes, I think et ceterer is betterer.

The OED says a rhyme is an "agreement in the terminal sounds of two or more words or metrical lines, such that (in English prosody) the last stressed vowel and any sounds following it are the same, while the sound or sounds preceding are different. Examples: which, rich; grew, too; peace, increase; leather, together; descended, extended.

Do you agree with that?

It goes on to say "Imperfect rimes are tolerated to a large extent in English, e.g. phase, race; did, seed; among these are such as rime only to the eye, as loved, proved; death, heath.
The term is sometimes extended to include assonance and even alliteration (initial or head rime).

I don't agree that any of these examples rhyme, though some do. I do agree that certain types of alliteration, such as "tops, pops, knot can be considered "imperfect rimes". Apparently you don't.

At the same time, you think lover and mother rhyme, admitting it is "slightly flawed". And "upom us"?

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Fri Feb 28th, 2003 at 0:53.]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OED says a rhyme is an "agreement in the terminal sounds of two or more words or metrical lines... Examples: _which, rich; grew, too; peace, increase; leather, together; descended, extended_.

Do you agree with that?
Yes, totally.

It goes on to say "Imperfect rimes are tolerated to a large extent in English, e.g. _phase, race; did, seed_;
It goes on to step all over itself. "Did/seed"?? Not even close! And tolerated by whom? Signs proclaiming "Apple's for sale" are tolerated but that doesn't make them correct!

among these are such as rime only to the eye, as _loved, proved; death, heath_.
I assume there's a word for this but that word is not "rhyme"! "Eye rime (sic)," my royal freckled butt!

The term is sometimes extended to include assonance...
which is the repetiton of a vowel sound in non-rhyming words such as plate/tray/face/maid/wave. Assonance can pep up one's poetry but it's not the same as simple rhyming.

...and even alliteration (_initial_ or _head rime_).
OK, now the OED is just getting goofy.

I don't agree that any of these examples rhyme, though some (other people) do.
Good, we're back on the same page again.

I do agree that certain types of alliteration, such as "tops, pops, knot can be considered "imperfect rimes". Apparently you don't.
Nope! And I assume you meant to refer to the dreaded "tops/pops/knot" as assonance. It's a perfect example. I think the core of our disagreement is that I believe assonance is assonance and rhyme is rhyme and never the twain shall meet while you, on the other hand, have indulged in a lot more illegal herb than you fessed up to in another thread.

At the same time, you think lover and mother rhyme, admitting it is "slightly flawed"...
To me, the term "imperfect rhyme" is in the same category as "slightly pregnant." You either are or you aren't; it either rhymes or it doesn't. A "slightly flawed" rhyme is one which you can fool either your own ear or that of a listener into believing is an actual rhyme (example "lover/mother") if you say it quickly as to not bring attention to it's flawed nature. It's a cheat, yes, but close enough. And granted, it's a judgement call that in each case could be argued both ways. That's why I'm glad I'm King.

...And "upom us"?
It was a joke! An intentionally twisted and tortured rhyme coined only for that one specific purpose. The humor lies in the fact that your Grand and Glorious King of Wordcrafter Limericks stoops to such a horrible rhyme (and, yes, it IS a rhyme; it just isn't a WORD!) in order to complete that silly little limerick. Get it? A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha-ha, funny!

Hope this clarifies things. As I counselled R.E. a while back, when in doubt do it my way.

The King has spoken.

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Fri Feb 28th, 2003 at 13:15.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dear TrossL, I value you here.
You even drink Richard's fine beer!
You deserve my respect,
For your intellect,
And your honesty, too, is most clear!

[Meter-challenged, I know, but what's a woman to do? Just keep me out of those double dactyls! Big Grin TrossL, "my bad".]

OK, this one started out as a "B+" but I'm paring it down to a "B-" for your repeated self-knocking statements about your (non-existent) inability to write limericks. This is another beauty! If you want to even out the meter, all that is required is the word "fine" before "intellect" and you're good to go.

Your assignment is (are you sitting?) A DOUBLE DACTYL to be posted on the appropriate thread! (BWAAH-HAAA-HAAA-HAAAAAA!!!)

You can do it! (And that goes to all the rest of you out there. The tougher they are, the greater the satisfaction when you pull one together!)

TKHS

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah, but CJ, even some of the best poets use these "improper rhymes" from time to time.

Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" is one of my favourite poems but even that contains the rhymes

toil - smile
command - land
beech - stretch

and

abode - God

John Betjeman's "A Subaltern's Love Song" rhymes the heroine's name "Dunn" with both "won" and "one" in different verses.

Philip Larkin's "Toads" has rhymes that are so perverse that you'd wonder if it's meant to rhyme at all except for the fact that it's so consistantly slightly "wrong" that it's clearly intentional.

work - pitchfork, life - off, soils - bills, poison - proportion, wits - louts, lispers - paupers, lanes - sardines, bucket - like it, feet - yet, wives - starves, enough - stuff (hurrah - a rhyme !), pension - made on, like - luck, too - snow, blarney - money, getting - sitting, other - either and truth - both.

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

[This message was edited by BobHale on Fri Feb 28th, 2003 at 14:47.]

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Ah, but CJ, even some of the best poets use these "improper rhymes" from time to time.
Two oft-repeated sayings from my childhood come wafting back to me here: "Two wrongs don't make a right" and "Well, if Jimmy Johnson jumped off the bridge, would you jump off the bridge?!"

And just think of how good "Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard," "A Subaltern's Love Song," and "Toads" might have been if I had been around to help with the rhymes. Maybe, for the good of poetry in general, I should rewrite them.

"Blarney/money," indeed!

TKHS

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe, for the good of poetry in general, I should rewrite them.

Please feel free to rewrite as much Betjeman as your whim dictates. I've never liked his poetry anyway. It's far too twee and middle class for my taste.
As a Poet Laureate he'd have made a damned fine writer of birthday card verses.

I'd much prefer it though if you'd just accept the failings of such "lesser" poets as Gray and Larkin though - after all, how could they be expected to live up to the Strolinian ideal when they had never even heard of you ?

Cool

Vescere bracis meis.

posted Hide Post
There once was a girl from Oak Pass
Who had a magnificent ass,
But 'twas not round and pink
As you'd probably think,
'Twas gray, had long ears and ate grass.

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
That lass and her succulent ass
Did it chew, or toke the grass?
We could ask old Bob Hale
But he'd probably fail
Lookin up to the twee middle class

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Ah good. So pleased to get back to feelthy limericks rather than erudite commentary.
quote:
Kalleh, there's not one hard feeling.
Richard saw my view? I'm reeling!
I was sort of scared
That I may have erred
By being much too revealing.

TrossL, your wonderful entry puts me in mind of two more, unfortunately non-original. One, from the days before zippers were invented, uses the same -eeling rhyme. The other ... well, it gently suggests that your phrase "too revealing" is perhaps oxymoronic. Wink

There once was maid from Darjeeling,
Who danced with such exquisite feeling,
Not a sound could be heard,
Not a peep; not a word --
Just the fly-buttons hitting the ceiling.

There once was a maid on the Corso,
Who displayed rather much of her torso.
But I freely confess
No one called out for less,
And some were in favor of moreso.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ debates the rhymes,
Charging rhetorical crimes.
While Kalleh complains
Of metering pains,
And Tinman's authority climbs.

With all those "ass" limericks, how about one with callipygian?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
A girl callipygiously handsome
Was stuck in a sleeping room transom
When she offered much gold
For release, she was told
That the view was worth more than the ransom.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US English speakers have more scope here, since, although we rhyme "ass" and "lass", the expression ass is reserved for the four-legged type.

The pink and rounded type is pronounced here with a long "a" and its spelling has changed to reflect that - "arse". This also rhymes with "grass" as we say it.

Thus the clever Limerick:

There was a young fellow called Lancelot
at whom all the girls glanced askance a lot.
Whenever he'd pass
a good-looking lass
the front of his pants would advance a lot.

is clearly of US origin. Not only are the rhymes transatlantic but also we wear our pants underneath our outer garments, the usual name for the male outer variety being "trousers".

Thus the advancement referred to would not, in the UK, be visible and the askance glances not thus engendered!

Richard English

[This message was edited by Richard English on Sat Mar 1st, 2003 at 0:20.]

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The Curate of Kew and the Knight,
Lancelot, in the end got it right.
Their well zipped-up flies
Now do not catch the eyes
Of the pew girls, engendering fright.

~~~ jerry

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh--I am loving these! Big Grin
My fine Border Collie named Flirt
Loves dearly to play in the dirt.
Just throw her a ball,
And fun will befall,
With Lake Michigan as her dessert!

As for "asses":

Shufitz is quite callipygous
As well as extremely prestigious.
Although an old fart,
He's amazingly smarth.
While a lawyer, he's not litigious.

Here's one of my favorite "feelthy" ones, though out of respect for the ladies and gentlemen on the site, I will use "blank" for the naughty words. You'll be able to figure them out! (If not, I will buy you a Hog's Back T.E.A.)

Nymphomaniacal Jill
Used a dynamite stick for a thrill.
They found her "blank"
In North Carolina
And bits of her "blank" in Brazil!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, your nymphomaniacal Jill had a

cousin named Alice
She used dynamite for a phallus
They found her "blank"
In NC
And some parts of Alice in Dallas.

~~~ jerry

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I've heard your's with the last line reading, [i]And her a**hole in Buckingham Palace." And your "girl callipygiously handsome" reminds me of this one:

There once was a lady named Ransom,
Who was ravished five times in a hansom.
When she called out for more,
A voice from the floor
Cried, "Lady, I'm Simpson, not Samson!"

posted Hide Post
Lady Callipygian

A lady is quite inspirational.
Her callipygian shape is sensational.
As she walks by
You can hear a great sigh,
As I entertain thoughts recreational.

Tinman

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
A helicopter commuter
Said, "Something's amiss with my scooter
While they tuned up my motor
They re-routed my rotor
Perhaps I should call Rotor Router."

Tinman's confessed thoughts of lust
While admittedly fitting and just
Are inspired by the thighs
When comparing the sighs
Over asses to asses, busts to busts

(( callipygian ..... collie pigeon ... Hmmm ))

~~~ jerry

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sat Mar 1st, 2003 at 21:09.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Young Stephanie Souders of Worcester,
A self-confessed bellicose borcester,
Promotes the demise
Of Iraqui bad guys.
Perhaps Mister Cheney sedorcester.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sun Mar 2nd, 2003 at 10:14.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Lancelot's lawyer's delight
Was in making lawsuits come out right.
His internist, in turn
Showed his greatest concern
For the things that went bump in the knight.

~~~ jerry

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
That lass and her succulent ass
Did it chew, or toke the grass?
We could ask old Bob Hale
But he'd probably fail
Lookin up to the twee middle class

The second line, besides having a halting meter which causes the reader to stumble right at the first, presents a textual problem. Unless you are aware of a marijuana cigarette that can be inhaled in suppository form (and God knows, in the interest of furthering science, I'm willing to be a guinea pig here) I'm confused. You describe the girl's ass as "succulent," which would seem to suggest her buttocks, but then ask if "toked" ("inhaled" for the benefit of R.E.) the grass. If this is the case, after toking how might she pass the joint to the next person? The mind boggles!

Also points off for the gratuitous labling of Bob Hale as "old" just for the sake of meter. "We could ask Mr. Hale" would have worked just as well without disparaging his age. Also very minor points off for no punctuation in line 1 and no apostrophe in "Lookin" but no major big deal there.

Final points off for lack of understandability, for me anyway. What exactly is "twee"? It looks like something that might be uttered by 4/5 of a bird.

Overall, a "D+" Not up to your own standards, J.T.!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
CJ debates the rhymes,
Charging rhetorical crimes.
While Kalleh complains
Of metering pains,
And Tinman's authority climbs.

When those metering pains start coming less than five minutes apart, you're about to give birth to a limerick. Perfect meter in lines 3, 4, and 5.

A "B" here but where's your double dactyl??

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fine Border Collie named Flirt
Loves dearly to play in the dirt.
Just throw her a ball,
And fun will befall,
With Lake Michigan as her dessert!

Perfect first 4 lines but the "dessert" ending would have worked better if you'd been talking about eating instead of playing. Still, why quibble? A "B"

Shufitz is quite callipygous
As well as extremely prestigious.
Although an old fart,
He's amazingly smarth.
While a lawyer, he's not litigious.

Throw in one more syllable somewhere in that last line for the sake of meter and it's a "B" Minor points off for making me consider Shufitz's butt. (I'm tempted to say it's an "A" for ass but that would be too easy.)

Nymphomaniacal Jill
Used a dynamite stick for a thrill.
They found her "blank"
In North Carolina
And bits of her "blank" in Brazil!

While getting off the subject a bit, I long ago noticed that the substitution of "blank" (or whatever) for "dirty" words can often just worsten the situation when the reader fills in the blanks with words worse than those which were censored.
Consider the following needlessly censored Christmas carol and listen to how your mind alters the innocent scene:

"I saw Mommy ****ing Santa Claus, underneath the mistletoe last night.
She didn't see me creep down the stairs to take a ****.
She thought that I was tucked up in my bedroom **** **** ****.

(Ho, Ho, Ho!)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lady is quite inspirational.
Her callipygian shape is sensational.
As she walks by
You can hear a great sigh,
As I entertain thoughts recreational.

If She's a Hooker, You're Both in Luck!
And you say to her "How are you, Honey?"
In a way you think dapper and funny.
If her answer's a sigh
It is pro'bly caused by,
The fact that she thinks you have money!

"B+" for each.

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
A helicopter commuter
Said, "Something's amiss with my scooter
While they tuned up my motor
They re-routed my rotor
Perhaps I should call Rotor Router."

Then again, perhaps not. A bit strained, no? The "scooter" is his helicopter, right? (I ask because I don't normally associate rotors with scooters.) Meter's fine, though. A "C"

Tinman's confessed thoughts of lust
While admittedly fitting and just
Are inspired by the thighs
When comparing the sighs
Over asses to asses, busts to busts

Maybe I'm getting obtuse in my old age but here's another one that doesn't entirely make sense to me upon examination. "Comparing the sighs over the rest? Still, "asses to asses, busts to busts," even though it screws up the meter, is great wordplay. A "B"

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lancelot's lawyer's delight
Was in making lawsuits come out right.
His internist, in turn
Showed his greatest concern
For the things that went bump in the knight.

There you go, back to your old form! Possibly your interest in double dactlys threw you off limerick-wise. Perfect rhymes here, interesting text, a pun for a punchline. An "A"

Only minor flaw here is that the meter dictates you mispronounce (slightly) "lawsuits," either with the accent on the second syllable or equal on both, but it would take far more than just that to sink this one.

TKHS

posted Hide Post
Twee is a perfectly good UK English word which means "affectedly dainty or quaint". It is a derogatory expression and is used perfectly correctly in this Limerick if (as some justifiably might) we regard the middle classes as "quaint".

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Final points off for lack of understandability, for me anyway. What exactly is "twee"?

quote:

Final points off for lack of understandability, for me anyway. What exactly is "twee"?

If you had looked in the AHD, you'd have found that it means niminy-piminy. Big Grin

One with educability can
acieve understandability
by looking up the word twee
in the AHD or OED.

No, it's not a limerick, but it's appropriate.

Educability

A man with educability
Lacks understandability.
He can find the word twee
In a dictionary:
The AHD or OED.

Tinman

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:19.]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There is an article about twee on the Word Detective Web site.

Quite why ignorance on the part of the reader should be a reason for the limerick being accorded a lower grade I don't understand. Especially as this is a forum about words...

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I was unaware of the word "twee" until it was used here in the phrase "twee and middle class." So I looked it up and thus enhanced my own inventory of English words.

Do we need to submit a vocabulary list to the King Judge of Limericks to make sure we don't go beyond the limits of his limited vocabulary and thus earn lower grades ???

All seriousness aside, I'd guess that Mr. Strolin is doing the best he can under the circumstances.

Aren't we all ??

Poems are made by you and me, and some of us can understand "twee."

~~~ jerry

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
An interesting prefix is "orth,"
Rarely mentioned down south or up north
It tells how we should stand
When we hear the command
Expressed by today's date: "March Forth !!"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jerry, love your style! Big Grin

Do I feel a double dactyl coming on with niminy-piminy?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
One with educability can
acieve understandability
by looking up the word _twee_
in the AHD or OED.

No, it's not a limerick, but it's appropriate.

_Educability_

A man with educability
Lacks understandability.
He can find the word _twee_
In a dictionary:
The AHD or OED.

You're right, it works better as a four-line poem than as a limerick. "He can FIND the word TWEE in the DICtionaREE" has that certain ring of "UNambiGUously" to it.

The points off (minor ones) were for the use of a word I'm pretty sure was a new one to most of us on this board. And yes, Arnie, my vocabulary is once again enriched. "Twee." Oh, yeah. I'm sure that one is going to pop up in conversation any day now.

I've noticed that my grading in the past couple of weeks has been a bit on the generous side and yet still occasionally envokes the proverbial slings and arrows etc. Uprisings and beheadings have been born from less.

With this in mind, I must assess your recent effort a "C-" in part due to you using the title "Educability" (the trait of being able to be educated) instead of "Educatability" which, while not actually a word, is a far better representation of what the word should be.

As artists it is we who stretch the boundaries of what is right and what is possible with our glorious language. The OED is your servant, not your master! Be bold! Be daring! Breathe deeply the heady fumes of inspiration and you shall be amply rewarded! This piece, for example, could have been a "C+"!!

The King has spoken.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
I haven't done one in a while
I find dactyls much more my style
Though I'll try again
To keep up with the men
These are easier to compile.

Confess CJ's grades give one pause
He zones in on all of the flaws
But I'll try my best
Put me to the test
And maybe I'll hear some applause.

Of course, the applause will be mine
As I sit here drinking my wine
I get such a kick
Out of each type and click
My biggest fan, me, oh that's fine!

Hmmmm...

Part One, as is, a "B-" with minor points off for lack of punctuation (Why did you leave off the periods in lines 1 & 2 and the [optional] comma from line 3?) but more because the meter is great right up to that last line where it just falls down. How would you feel about the last line "These are easier (much!) to compile"? With the added "(much!)" you not only smooth over the rough spot, metrically, but also I think it helps divert the reader's attention away from the misuse of the word "compile." You're not compiling the limerick, you're composing it. With corrections an "A-".

Part Two, first off: Applause, applause, applause!! Very well done, an "A-". I would have started it out with "I confess CJ's grades..." to make it a complete sentence and then there are those missing periods again. (And no, I'll skip all pregnancy wiscracks as being too easy.) The second line? Yes, I do, but I like to think that I zone in on all the strong points as well. I suppose there's just so much info you can cram into a limerick.

Part Three, a strong "A" largely for the point you make. I'm in full agreement. When I perform in front of an audience, if I enjoy what I have presented but they just sit there with glazed eyes, I consider it a successful show.

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
An interesting prefix is "orth,"
Rarely mentioned down south or up north
It tells how we should stand
When we hear the command
Expressed by today's date: "March Forth !!"

Good meter and rhyme, interesting premise, topical. As is, a "B".

When read by someone doing an impression of "Twilight Zone" host Rod Serling, an "A".

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I concur with most, BUT, not the compile part because according to dictionary.com, one of the definitions is: to put together. I was, and do, put together limericks. So there you go. Thanks for the "A" grades though.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Ummm... Not quite.

The complete dictionary.com definition is "to put together or compose from materials gathered from several sources: compile an encyclodedia." "Compose" was the word you were looking for here but that, of course, would have screwed up the rhyme.

I do notice farther down, however, that another definition is "To write; to compose [Obs.] -- Sir W. Temple." I assume you'd rather not base your argument on an obsolete term.

And just as a sidenote, I wonder if this knighted gentleman is any relation to Shirley Temple, the all-time Queen of Twee. (Well, Huh! It did come up in conversation!)

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
CJ-
But I do compile from several different sources. I have an open window for dictionary.com, RhymeZone and OneLook at all times, and flip back and forth through them all. (Note to self... May have just blown cover.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
...due to you using the title "Educability" (the trait of being able to be educated) instead of "Educatability" which, while not actually a word, is a far better representation of what the word should be.

Wow! C J's rewriting the dictionary! How lucky we are!

quote:
As artists it is we who stretch the boundaries of what is right and what is possible with our glorious language. The OED is your servant, not your master! Be bold! Be daring! Breathe deeply the heady fumes of inspiration and you shall be amply rewarded!

And he has generously offered to tell us what's "right"!

quote:
The King has spoken.

The king has ranted!

C J, when do you think you'll be finished rewriting the OED? A month or two?

Tinman

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! C J's rewriting the dictionary! How lucky we are!

Not only that, he's rewriting the OED rather than the AHD. As a humble Englishman I can only thank him for his efforts to bring our poor benighted language up to the plateau of linguistic development that is "American".

Thank's CJ. Roll Eyes

Vescere bracis meis.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, I have to agree with TrossL; I also compile my limericks--and we won't even mention the un-Godly amounts of time I've spent on the one measly double dactyl I did!

Limerick writing is fun.
Double dactyls I truly do shun!
They drive me so crazy;
Perhaps I'm just lazy.
After all, I'm not Lord Tennyson!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:14.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This group is in terrible trouble
We're in danger of bursting our bubble
Dactyl clients out there
Say they want simple fare,
And most of our dactyls are double

~~~ jerry

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
One More Page Will Be the
Equivalent of My Golden Jubilee!

One thread, it's odd, quickly ages,
While another intently engages
Its posters instead,
Like this limerick thread.
Almost 2,000 views and four pages!!

I do, however, see the double dactyl thread as threatening to sap the energy from this one. Despite the occasional DD (can we agree on that abbreviation?) that flows effortlessly in a minute or two, most of these damn things take time!!

The King is concerned...