Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    To Censor or Not to Censor . . . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Censor or Not to Censor . . . . Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
In another forum, I mentioned that Rhode Island had the longest official state name. Valentine reminded us that ethnic groups had this year sought to have State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (the official state name) truncated to simply “State of Rhode Island.” They sought the change because the word plantation, to them, harkened back to days of slavery in the South. They felt the state government was, by allowing the word to remain an official part of the state’s name, condoning the evil practice. To some, it seemed a legitimate request.

However, their cause’s big problem was the word plantation. At the time of RI’s establishment (in 1636) plantation meant “new colony,” which Providence most definitely was, and the same held true for “Plymouth Plantations” in nearby Massachusetts. While I’m not an expert on colonial history, I have seen no evidence that slavery was a part of either settlement, at least in the period when plantation was used as stated. In addition, the repugnant plantation system that relied on slavery evolved in a totally different society, place, and time, and while several Rhode Island businessmen profited by the Triangle Trade in slaves later, the southern-style plantation system was ill-suited to conditions in New England.

The proposed name change was rejected, but it will probably be brought up again.

At one time, the Tetons of the west were the subject of proposed changes due to their vulgar translation. I haven’t kept abreast of developments there but I think the attempt didn’t hold up.

Which raises the question: should officials eliminate historic titles or place name words just to avoid offending those who disapprove of them?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Prince George, B.C. and am dreading the day when anti-monarchists demand the name be changed because it evokes images of the imperialistic past.

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here are some weird ones.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Here's another.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Regular censorship in books and other printed material is oft discussed in my profession.

This comic strip was just posted recently, and I thought some of you might find it . . . hmm . . . ironic? insightful? funny?

There are links under the strip that point you to the issue being referenced.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Somewhere here I mentioned Wanker's Corners, Oregon, and Fucking, Austria.

As for changing long names, the real name of Los Angeles, California is El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The funny thing about Rhode Island's name is that Shu actually knew, without looking, the entire name. Roll Eyes He is not easy to live with! I had thought Proofreader was putting us on.

I rather liked Anus France.

We've had a couple similar threads with fun names, including this and here and here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a side note, I remember the Houston Astros setting up a low-level minor league team in Florida some years ago at the site they used for spring training, and then deciding not to call them the Astros. Normal practice is for low-level teams to have the same team name as their parent club.
But I guess they figured the Kissimmee Astros was not a good name for a team.
I have looked to see if I can find what the team was eventually called, but have been unable to.

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I had thought Proofreader was putting us on.

Have I EVER done that? OK, one time...or was it twice...?

Ask Shu this question: Of all of the islands in Narragansett Bay, which is the one originally called "Rhode" island?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Regular censorship in books and other printed material is oft discussed in my profession.

For or agin'?

posted Hide Post
I've had the occasion to go through Flippin, Arkansas. The best sign I saw was for the Flippin Church of Christ.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The town of Boring, Oregon used to have a large sign at one corner proclaiming, "Boring Gospel Hall." The sign's gone now, presumably because they got a better preacher. Annnnnnd, the Boring Dairy Queen drive-in had a bike rack in the disabled parking space. Then there are the letters on the side of their fire trucks: BFD. Odd town, Boring.

<Proofreader>
posted
This listing of place names is interesting but the original question I presented was:
should officials eliminate historic titles or place name words just to avoid offending those (usually a minority of one or two) who disapprove of them?

I added the italicized text.

posted Hide Post
I have not answered your original question because it seemed likely that the thread would quickly cross over into forbidden territory.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you that in my opinion they shouldn't. We've discussed a couple of times in the past the tendency to rewrite history to suit the prevailing moral standards of the day and I am against it.

I understand absolutely why modern television versions of Noddy have Goblins rather than Golliwogs and I have no special problem with that but I do have a problem with taking the original books and "doctoring" them to change the references. The same recently happened to one of the Tin-Tin books.

We also discussed the idea that a remake of a film biography of Douglas Bader should rename the Squadron Leader's dog because it was originally called "Nigger". I came out against it because although the word is certainly offensive to a great many people, not just one or two, it was in fact what the dog was called and to make a historical film with deliberately wrong facts is something I'm against. (As you can probably tell I don't like many historical films. Smile )

So my answer is no, places shouldn't be renamed. History shouldn't be rewritten and books shouldn't be bowdlerised. If people are unable to see them in the context of their creation then that is their problem.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re Douglas Bader.

Are you referring to "The Dam Busters", or a true biography?

My understanding is that the movie, when first re-released (or tv showing, I'm not sure which), changed the name of the dog (whose name is also used as a code word indicating success of the mission), but that a more recent re-release did not.

I have a copy of the unchanged film. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it.

For those who don't know, the film describes a UK bombing effort designed to blow up dams in Germany, causing flooding as well as loss of industrial power. The actual bomb characteristics were very hush-hush, so much so that when the film was made in the mid 50's, and actual war-time footage of the testing was used, the footage was modified to conceal the shape of the bomb.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm referring to both.
I have seen The Dam Busters in two different versions (same movie) in one the "offending" word had been blanked out and in the other it hadn't. I'm against changing it because in historical fact neither the Dog nor the Codename was "Rover".

posted Hide Post
Someone here is confused. I know I am.

Douglas Bader, the paraplegic flier, was not a part of the Dambusters.

I hear that the movie is being remade, by the way.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I am the one who is confused. It comes from having recently seen both the Dambusters and The Douglas Bader Story on TV. Just send me to bed without any supper. You get the gist of what I'm saying anyway.

I'll slink away now and have some beer to clear the brain.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine:
I hear that the movie is being remade, by the way.

With or without the N-word?

posted Hide Post
I have no idea. Perhaps they'll dodge the subject by not having a dog.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Much ado here recently about "squaw," whom the politically correct crowd don't like. Somehow, "Pre-Columbian man's wife Valley, Utah" doesn't sound good. Keep history intact, and to bloody hell with PC!

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Douglas Bader, the paraplegic flier

I don't think Bader was paraplegic. He had both legs amputated. Paraplegia is paralysis of the extremities caused by spinal cord injury.

The remake of the movie will probably use a golden retriever. Nothing "N" about them.

posted Hide Post
I said I was confused! I thought it was paralysis.

The problem with using any dog is that they will be criticized either way they approach it. Of course, not having a dog can be criticized, but not as easily.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Much ado here recently about "squaw," whom the politically correct crowd don't like.

Who's complaining?

I once visited a small town in Arkansas that had a Civil War Memorial in the center of their town square. I enquired about whether it was politically sensitive, and was told that there had been some recent complaints - not because it honored dead Confederates, but because it only honored dead male Confederates.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Another censored name by the PC crowd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooster_Rock_State_Park

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The English tend to find it rather amusing the way that many Americans removed references to "cock" and replaced them with "cockerel" or "rooster".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Ask Shu this question: Of all of the islands in Narragansett Bay, which is the one originally called "Rhode" island?
You've heard of being sleepless in Seattle?
Well, I'm clueless in Chicago.

Do tell?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Nobody knows for sure. You could have solved a big mystery and ended an even bigger controversy.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
The English tend to find it rather amusing the way that many Americans removed references to "cock" and replaced them with "cockerel" or "rooster".

And titbit with tidbit.

(Indeed, my Firefox built-in spellchecker tries to tell me that titbit is wrong and tidbit is correct - I wish I could change the default).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, but you can modify the dictionary:

http://tinyurl.com/yya37q

posted Hide Post
Whenever I've tried to do that I get an error message that says that the UK English dictionary is not available for my (latest) version of Firefox.

I have asked their helpdesk for assistance - with the usual result of no result.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant the manual edit of persdict.dat, or just:

When Firefox detects an incorrect spelling, it highlights that word with a dotted red underline - if you think the spelling is correct, you just right click and choose "Add to Dictionary".

posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I know I can do that - but that means that the incorrect US word will still remain and might slip through.

My Outlook built-in dictionary has an error - it insists that "liaise is spelt "liase" and I can't get rid of that incorrect spelling either!

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get an error message that says that the UK English dictionary is not available for my (latest) version of Firefox.

Odd. I have the latest version of FF as well (3.01). My British English dictionary works without problems. It was, however, installed some time ago, before 3.01 came out. I wonder if there's some method of installing it even though the browser thinks it's not compatible?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Just got the official state booklet describing referendums to be voted on this year and changing the state's name is on it. There are also a number or bond issues to be voted on and it's unbelievable what a differenc there is between what they say is being borrowed and what we will actually pay in interest ($25 million vs. $64 milion).

Just came back from Cape Cod and on Route 6 there's a sign "Entering Marion." Funny, I didn't feel a thing.

posted Hide Post
Did you smell anything? Marion is a man's name. Like John Wayne's real name.

I wonder if there's a sign saying "Entering Salida" in Salida, California? "Slida is Spanish for "exit."

Speaking of salida, have you seen those airliners that have "EXIT/SALIDA" signs by the doors? English speakers get off to the left; Spanish speakers exit to the right, then - splat! The exit ramp is only on the left. Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post