Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Double Dactyls again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Dactyls again Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Additionally, there are multiple spellings of "pizzaz" including the one I opt for, "pizzazz," only because this makes the word unique in all the English language in that it is made up of more than 50% the letter Z. (That is, of course, not counting the onomatopoetic "Zzzzzzz," a representation of snoring seldom seen outside of comics.)

This would make for a great bar bet if you ever encountered a bar devoted to language lovers.

(I've also seen "pizaz" but that looks absolutely anemic!)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Tom, But It's Been All Downhill Since "Rainman"

Matrixy, Schmaytrixy,
Tom Cruise, the movie star
Dumped Nichole Kidman then
Went on his way.

Since then her life has been
GoldenGlobe-ifferous
But of his films there is
Not much to say.

I recently introduced KHC to the delights (??!!) of the double dactyl, a form she is presently tackling with mixed feelings. We've all been there, right?

I mentioned that occasionally these things seem to write themselves. The above ditty took, in all, about two minutes to compose and a fair portion of that was in the coinage of that sixth line. Yes, yes, I know. It's not exactly in the OED. Call it "poetic license."

posted Hide Post
I am working hard to understand this Double Dactyl strategy.. please be kind. My DD was edited (gently) by the Master of All Masters, CJ..who assures me I will be doing these in my head every time I hear Dah-duh-duh, Dah-duh-duh..
We'll see..

Flydilly, Skydilly,
Wilbur and Orville Wright.
Can a man be a bird?
Can we take flight?

Energized, curious
-aerodynamically-
To them invention was
Total Delight!

I hope I get the gist of this soon.. it's driving me crazy.. Y'all are all so good!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, KHC, that is wonderful! You are definitely on the right track. It takes a lot of guts--I remember!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
When KHC told me that she was going to attempt a DD based on the Wright Brothers, my first thought was, "Oh, Jeeze. She doesn't have the format down right. There's no way that 'The Wright Brothers' is going to fit into that dreaded 'DA-duh-duh DA-duh-duh' meter." Then I realized that "Wilbur and Orville Wright" had six syllables and, while not exactly fitting the DddDdd meter (Can we agree to call it that? It's easier to type.) it was workable.

So I stole it...

Not Many People Know That Orville Wright Invented the Seat Belt Which was First Only a Length of Rope With Which He Tied Himself into the Pilot's Seat of Early Aircraft to Keep From Being Bounced Out of Said Seat During Rough Landings and While This Little Factoid Has Nothing to Do With the Double Dactyl Itself, I Do Like to Title My DDs and There Wasn't Room Within the Eight Lines to Talk About Damn Seat Belts, So Sue Me!

Higgledy, Piggledy,
Wilbur and Orville Wright
First in the world to a-
Chieve powered flight.

Last to ensure, with flights
Ultra-simplistical,
That all their bags landed
With them all right.

Points off for:
1.) The split "achieve" between lines 2 & 3. (Not exactly against the rules but a bit jarring to the eye.)
2.) "Ultra-simplistical." A bit of a stretch.
3.) Overly long title.

Points added (though not many) for:
1.) Topicality. (recent anniversary of the first flight)
2.) Semi-clever premise regarding lost baggage.

All in all, I'd give it a C+ which I admit is generous but I'm a bit out of practice.

And well done KHC! These things can be more than a little bit daunting. We all look forward to your next efforts in this genre.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
KHC, CJ seems to think he's the judge of everyone else here. Just so you know: he's entirely self-appointed. Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
...and then sometime we play fast-and-loose with the rules so the words and rhythms will fit the other rules. For example, you could re-cast
"Wilbur and Orville Wright"
into
"Wright Brothers Wilbur and
Orville..."
which fits the scansion more exactly but does overflow into the next line. Win one, lose one. (I tend to be a stickler for strict rhythm as a fundamental property of the DD form. Other rules may be more flexible.)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Haberdasher and Hic et. U !

CJ doesn't scare me.. Cool

HaberD.. I love the new twist on Wright
Brothers, Wilbur and Orville .. I think I'm getting the picture.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
With your permission, KHC, here is another re-hash or your masterpiece.

Higgledy piggledy
Orville and Wilbur Wright
World's first flyers in
Ultra-light craft

Early believers in
Upwardmobility
Even when scientists
Thought they were daft

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like it, Jerry, especially "Upwardmobility" and "Ultra-light craft" and then "Thought they were daft!" Gosh, we are good, aren't we? We should work on getting some of these published! Wink

quote:
(I tend to be a stickler for strict rhythm as a fundamental property of the DD form. Other rules may be more flexible.)
I agree completely with Haberdasher on that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Higgledy piggledy
Orville and Wilbur Wright
World's first flyers in
Ultra-light craft

Early believers in
Upwardmobility
Even when scientists
Thought they were daft

The nitpicker in me still has two objections.

1) There are only five syllables in "Worlds first flyers in..." This could be rectified by changing one word to two, as in
"...Were the first flyers in...."

2) The natural rhythm of "Wilbur and Orville Wright" has a heavy stress on the "Wright," at least as I pronounce it, and the DddDdd form demands a light one. That problem needs a little more revision to resolve. (Edit As CJ originally pointed out)

[This message was edited by haberdasher on Fri Feb 6th, 2004 at 13:05.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
How about Wright, O. and W.

(This is the result of a decision re revision to resolve)

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Fri Feb 6th, 2004 at 17:49.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That'd work just fine.

Now all we have is to figure out what "Owen W. Wright" is famous for... [ducking-for-cover-e]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hab about the second line, but not about "Worlds first flyers in." To me, that has 6 syllables. Perhaps it is my pronunciation that's incorrect. I don't say "world" with one syllable; I use two. However, Shufitz pointed out that "upwardmobility" isn't a word. That's okay by me; I love its use!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
I don't say "world" with one syllable; I use two. QUOTE]

Confused Confused Confused

How?

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
KHC, CJ seems to think he's the judge of everyone else here. Just so you know: he's entirely self-appointed. Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain! Big Grin

Harumphhh!

May I remind one and all (and particularly Hic) that it was the Limericks thread that I had declared myself Emperor of and that was only to stir some debate on the topic. TrossL was very briefly the Head Honcho of DDs, as I recall, before being somehow booted from the position by a party or parties who then decided not to ascend to the throne him/her/themselves.

I may also point out that the only DDs I'm grading nowadays are my own although this recent affront to my regality elsewhere just may have the effect of bringing about a new realm here. My qualifications include, but are not limited to:
1.) A degree of proficiency in this particular art form, and
2.) I look great in ermine.

We will take this matter into consideration and issue proclamations as appropriate.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think Hic thought you were grading KHC's DD, CJ. I had originally thought that, too. He was trying to support our newest talent here!

Bob, I say "wor---ld"

Now, for a bit of cross-threading. It's not perfect, but it was fun. Unfortunately, "epicaricacy just didn't work! Wink

Brilliantly, Brilliantly
Linguaphile Wordcrafter
Hosts our community,
Courteously.
Yet, accolades to our
People who post; they are
Collaborational,
Schadenfreude free!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Bob, I say "wor---ld"
!

Try as I might I just can't make that into two syllables without adding another vowel sound

wor - uld

works but wor-ld ? I just can't hear it in my head. What's the second vowel sound and which syllable are you stressing ?

Maybe I should wait until we meet again and ask you to say it.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Higgledy, Piggledy,
Englishman Robert Hale,
Counter of syllables,
Second to none.

Ponders with Kalleh that,
Incomphensibly,
"Wor-uld" has two but yet
"Fire" has just one??

Note to relative newcomers: About six months or so ago there was a thread somewhere that dealt with the "fact" (?? I'm still not convinced) that, technically, "fire" is a one-syllable word. And that's not just when it's spoken with a regional dialect (as in "Cousin Clem done brung the water hose cuz the barn was on fahr!") but in actual everyday use!

Like I say, I'm not buying it. Then again, "world" to me is not "wor-uld" any more than "film" is "fil-lum." It's a Chicago thing, maybe?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Schlimmellich-schlammellich
Jheem, Wortkraftmitglieder
bevorzugt immer das
Deutsche Gespräch.
Zweifel über Wörter-
abstammungechtheiten
bringt ihm Schadenfreude -
vielleicht hat recht.

The stress falls in the wrong place in one line and I've stetched a bit in pluralising Echtheit (which I'm not sure has a plural, though if it did Echtheiten would be correct) but on the whole I'm quite proud of that.

Approximate translation (not rhyming)

Nonsense word, nonsense word.
Jheem, member of Wordcraft, always prefers German conversation. Doubts about the genuineness of a word origin cause him to feel Schadenfreude (or maybe epicaricacy) but might just be right.

[This message was edited by BobHale on Sat Feb 7th, 2004 at 15:02.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Bob, that is great! You have just posted the first German DD here! I am telling you, we are a talented bunch! Wink

CJ, CJ, CJ. How on earth can you say "fire" with 2 syllables (I do too, by the way. I had agreed with you in that thread!), but not "world." Those who agree with the dictionaries that "fire" has one syllable probably do say "world" that way. Oh, and "film" most definitely has one syllable; there is no doubt there. Do you say "world" like "film?" You see, I think it must be the "r" in world, as in "fire," that adds the other syllable for me.

Now, maybe my definition, and yours, of 2 syllables differs. When I think of 2 syllables, I think of "heaven," while 1 syllable is "book." Do you say "world" more like "book" or like "heaven?" Yes, Bob, when we meet in April we will see.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Feb 7th, 2004 at 15:09.]

posted Hide Post
Here, for all to see, is my lame 2nd Double Dactyl.. the rest of you are absolutely incredible in your DD talents. I'm ashamed.

Stickely, prickily,
Theodore Roosevelt.
President, Resident,
Carried big stick.

San Juan Hill was his charge,
Spanish-Americanly,
Who would have thought that
As young he was sick.

I know that Line 7 is not exactly 6 syllables, but say it FAST!

You guys have all have all been so great... I am ready for critique! CJ, don't read this!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:

You guys have all have all been so great... I am ready for critique!

First of all let me say that it's great to see some recent members arrive and stick around. We have far too many who post for a couple of days then vanish.

I'm not the greatest DD writer myself. CJ claims to take minutes and I have no reason to doubt him but the few I've posted have taken hours and never ended up perfect. I almost always fail to get the rhythm of the lines correct. (The German one took about three hours and still has a rather dubious German coinage & a problem with the metre)

A critique then, as requested.

Line seven's syllable count is, as you noticed, one short. Easy to fix though by changing "thought that" to "considered".

Conversely line six is a syllable too long but can be quickly fixed by removing the "ly" at the end.

The only serious problem is the same one that I often have. Line five has the correct number of syllables but the wrong stress. It's just too hard to force into the pattern when recited

SAN Juan Hill WAS his charge

This can't really be fixed without rewriting the line. (I'll let you work on that as it's your DD after all.)

Still, all in all a fine effort and as good as the few I've ever completed.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
As I have said previously, there can be no rights or wrongs about pronunciation, only differences.

I don't know enough about American accents to tell but I am sure that someone there will know - what is Bugs Bunny's accent? My guess is New York, but I wouldn't put money on that.

Certainly he pronounces "fire" as a two-syllable word as is, "...Hey mack, where's the FI-YER?"

Film is pronounced as a two-syllable word by the Irish - "fillum", with the stress on the first syllable.

In southern UK English both words are pronounced with only one syllable, as is "world" (it rhymes exactly with "whirled").

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
San-Juan-HILL-was-his-CHARGE. (Is that a double trochee?)

No, it's a double anapest. A troche is a reverse iamb.

In tablular form we have
iamb = da-DA
trochee = DA-da
dactyl = DA-dah-da
anapest = da-da-DA

Yes?

Wouldn't it have been more fun if they were all self-decriptive, as is "TRO-chee"...do you think the Greeks pronounced them so, and not the way we do?

[This message was edited by haberdasher on Sun Feb 8th, 2004 at 7:08.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spanish-Americanly,
As young he was sick.

I agree with Bob; it is sooo good to see you sticking around, KHC! Wink

Perhaps this works a little better?
Spanish-American, (I love that!)
Who would have thought that as
Young he was sick.

That gives you 6 syllables per line, and, still, the "Spanish-American" describes him.

Bob, I cannot believe it took you three hours! Aren't you dedicated? I can't do them as quickly as CJ either, but I also don't spend 3 hours. Basically, I come up with a name or a 6-syllable word as I am doing something else, and then I start to obsess!

Higgledy Piggledy,
Jacqueline Kennedy,
Nation's First Lady in
More liberal days.
Beautiful wife of our
Thirty-fifth President,
Sophisticatedly,
Caused quite a craze.

[Shu said that "sophisticatedly" is decent, but not perfect.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
It's uncommonly beautiful!

Congratulations!!!

When I was in my late forties I returned to the University to get official certification as a teacher of Spanish language in Colorado Public Schools. One of the requirements was a Survey of English literature. It was there that I was introduced to the Double Dactyl, with the Beethoven one being the classic model.

Colorado State University's Education Department was headed at that time by John Flanagan, PhD. Here, published for the first time, is my creation.

Frantic pedantic man
Doctor John Flanagan
Teaching the students and
Teachers to teach

Finding the mystic key
Surrealistically
Letting ambitions be
Well within reach

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Sun Feb 8th, 2004 at 13:55.]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob, I cannot believe it took you _three_ hours!

Well...

I was working in a second language, inventing my own words (which is of course perfectly permissible in German Smile ) and watching consecutive episodes of Angel, Charmed and CSI:Miami.
Nevertheless it was seven when I started the verse and ten when I finished it. The hardest bit was the invention of a single word to mean "the genuineness of the origins of a word" (Wörterabstammungechtheiten, which I am reasonably sure should really be either Wörterabstammungenechtheit or Wörterabstammungsechtheit, neither of which fit the metre nearly as well.)

Incidentally if you work your way up from that link you get to some very interesting linguistics stuff including this, about the historical usage of "they/their" as singulars of unspecified gender.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Speaking of gender-neutral pronouns, Michael Quinion has just published an article on his World Wide Words site on this subject.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Higgledy Piggledy,
Jacqueline Kennedy,
Nation's First Lady in
More liberal days.
Beautiful wife of our
Thirty-fifth President,
Sophisticatedly,
Caused quite a craze.

For line seven, "ultrasophisticate" might satisfy his objections.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perfecto! Big Grin Thanks, Hab!

However, knowing Shu, he will say, "Better, but still not perfect." I couldn't find "ultrasophisicate" in Onelook (though "ultrasophisticated" exists). Shu is a stickler for that 6-syllable word being a real word. Roll Eyes

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on Bob Hale's German Doppeldaktylgedichte. I'll be posting a response in kind later.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you might change line 4 to "Camelot days" too, for scansion purposes.

Now you have
quote:
modified; originally posted by Kalleh:

Higgledy Piggledy,
Jacqueline Kennedy,
Nation's First Lady in
Camelot days.

Beautiful wife of our
Thirty-fifth President,
Ultra-Sophisticate,
Caused quite a craze

No "ultrasophisticate" in onelook.com but one hit on Google and fourteen for "ultra-sophisticate."

Remember Joe E Brown's line at the very end of Some Like It Hot ? "Nobody's perfect!"

[This message was edited by haberdasher on Mon Feb 9th, 2004 at 9:54.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, Bob, that is great! You have just posted the first _German_ DD here! I am telling you, we are a talented bunch! Wink
"Oh, Bob! (gush, gush, gush!) That is great! (gush, gush!)" I'll consider this a challenge and get back with you later.

CJ, CJ, CJ. How on earth can you say "fire" with 2 syllables (I do too, by the way. I had _agreed_ with you in that https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=441607094&f=932607094&m=7556088251&r=3136099751#3136099751!), but not "world." As posted further down, I see "world" and "whirled" as ONE-syllable homonyms.Those who agree with the dictionaries that "fire" has one syllable probably do say "world" that way. Oh, and "film" most definitely has one syllable; there is no doubt there. Do you say "world" like "film?" Only in that they are one sylable each.You see, I think it must be the "r" in world, as in "fire," that adds the other syllable for me.

Now, maybe my definition, and yours, of 2 syllables differs. When I think of 2 syllables, I think of "heaven," while 1 syllable is "book." Do you say "world" more like "book" or like "heaven?" Yes, Bob, when we meet in April we will see. Meeting? Meeting where? Does Shufitz know about this?? If it's Chicago, maybe we can get a bunch of the rest of us together as well? Or is this a (ahem) private meeting somewhere?! I'm not telling you how to run your life, of course, Kalleh, but Shu has been known to peruse (!) these pages in the past.

posted Hide Post
Sadly, CJ, it is not. It is to be somewhere where the beer is even better than that in Chicago!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
Here, for all to see, is my lame 2nd Double Dactyl.. the rest of you are absolutely incredible in your DD talents. I'm ashamed. Pul-eeze! Overall, an excellent effort. Very good meter and it makes a strong point.

Stickely, prickily,
Theodore Roosevelt.
President, Resident,
Carried big stick.

San Juan Hill was his charge,
Spanish-Americanly,
As young he was sick.

Hmmm... Let's see. How about:

Teddybear, Readybear,
Theodore Roosevelt,
Known to speak softly but
Carried big stick.

Charging up San Juan Hill
Indefatigably,
Who would have thought that as
Young he was sick?

Your first and fourth lines reference the same aspect of TR's life. Not against any rule, of course, but it would seem to be an area in which your piece could be improved, maybe?

My third line contrasts with your fourth a bit better, I think. Lines five and six, as everyone agrees, are the sticking points. I'm not crazy about mine, either.

You guys have all have all been so great... I am ready for critique! CJ, don't read this!

Whoops! Sorry, too late!

Also, a major point: I most definitely don't write ALL my DDs in two minutes or less. I was only saying that OCCASIONALLY they seem to write themselves. I've spent about an hour on massaging KHC's TR piece and I still wouldn't consider it one of my best efforts.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
It is to be somewhere where the beer is even better than that in Chicago!

Milwaukee? That's still do-able.

posted Hide Post
I understand that Shlitz "The beer that made Milwaukee famous" achieved this distinction because it supplied Chicago with beer after the City was largely destroyed by fire (or was it fi-yer) and there was no water to drink.

Shlitz is, of course, a very close approximation to pure water.

Richard English

[This message was edited by Richard English on Mon Feb 9th, 2004 at 13:31.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
As posted further down, I see "world" and "whirled" as ONE-syllable homonyms
It may well be a matter of semantics. As a literalist, I just don't see that anyone says "world" with strictly one syllable. Shuftitz says it is one syllable, and yet when he says it, it is two. However, CJ, then I would expect you to call "fire" one syllable, so go figure.

Shufitz and I have the very distinct pleasure of coming to London in April. I will surely let you know how Bob, arnie and Richard all say "world" and "fire." Wink

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In my language, all of these words are pronounced with TWO syllables

buyer
choir
dyer
fire
flier
friar
gyre
higher
hire
lyre
mire
nigher
pyre
sire
squire
tire
wire
world
whirled

In the rural-southern dialect where I grew up, "tire" was pronounced exactly like "tar." That's ONE syllable. "Tire" is tie-er. That's TWO.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I am with you! Big Grin

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Well here is my first try in answer to Bob Hale's German DD above.

Jiggery-pokery
Bobbius Robustus
setzte in Verse die
bis dactylique
d'Angleterre en hiver
lehnwörterängstliche
misit hæc verba ad
Jheem on the quick.

Jiggery pokery
Bob Hale
poetizes his
dactyls twice
from England in winter
fear-of-loanwords-ly
he sent such words to
Jheem on the quick.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Jheem! You two are waaaay out of my league! Big Grin

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bobbius Robustus
I like it! Big Grin

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Inspired by Amity Shales where she talks about Yale suffering from mediocrity after WWII. It seemed to care more about class than quality then and excluded nearly all qualified blacks, many qualified Jews and some qualified Catholics. It routinely rejected pupils from public schools, on principle. It lagged behind Harvard, at that time, in accepting the best and the brightest. However, 2 successive presidents in the sixties insisted that Yale open its gates wider to achieve greatness, and that has brought it back to greatness.

Boolala, Boolala
Yale University,
It's academcially
One of the best.
That's due to policy
During the sixties where,
Meritocractically,
Bright ones were blessed!

posted Hide Post
Oohh, I just scrolled up and read where CJ was massaging my DD... and I never even felt it. Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Valentines, Valentines
Passionate interludes,
Lovers romantically,
Relish the day!
Flirting, seducing and
Kissing your sweetheart with
Sentimentality.
Come on and play!

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Fri Feb 13th, 2004 at 21:03.]

posted Hide Post
I love it, Kalleh! 5-stars!!

Everyone...stay sweet!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Hokery pokery
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Wanting contentment went
Off the deep end.

Like me, he was asking,
Oversolicitous,
"A little bit more than
I'll ever spend."

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
Bobbius Robustus
I like it! Big Grin

jheem's jaheemery
"Bobbious Robustus"
Two weeks belatedly
Now I espy.

"Like it!" says arnie, and